Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Tmobile

Re: 30 day email sync limit is huge draw back my business; is there a fix?

My BB has been my mobile email archive for over 10 years.. being able to find/use/re-send previous emails is at the center of having your office on the go. Being one of their most loyal users I'm very disapointed too..

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

30 days of email?  This is rediculous.  I thought something was wrong when I did a device transfer from my bold to the z10 when I noticed I didn't have any old emails.  Although there were many issues with the device transfer (bad contacts transferring, media didn't go into the right places, etc) the 30-day email problem apparently wasn't due to a bug in the device switch process, instead it is caused by an internal bug!

This bug is a severe flaw and BlackBerry cannot get away with simply calling it "by design".  This is the kind of thing that is grounds for a class action lawsuit.  BlackBerry better treat this bug with the attention it deserves.  The device is behaving incorrectly, it does not work like anyone that uses a modern phone would expect, and definitely not the way anyone who has ever used a blackberry before would expect.  

This is like selling a hard drive where once you write to it, you can't get the space back.. or a company selling an ebook that doesn't let you go back and read pages that you've already read.  That would be inferior, abnormal, and unexpected, exactly as this limitation is with regard to email.

New Contributor
My Device: BB 10 Z
My Carrier: Fido

Say goodbye to your phone log history too.

Mine are only stored up to 30 days, then disappear day by day. Pretty hard to conduct a business like this.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

[ Edited ]

colinlaw wrote:
"all email on the Z10 over the 30 days is wiped out together with email on THE SERVER"

That would indeed be very bad if mails older than 30 days would also be deleted from the server. But for me (connected to Exchange via ActiveSync), this is not the case.

Mails older than 30 days are deleted on the Z10, but no mail is deleted on the Exchange server (I have mails from 2 years back in my inbox).

How are you connected to your mail server (ActiveSync, IMAP, POP3)?

New Contributor
My Carrier: EE

POP3
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

I have not tested POP3 on the Z10, but POP3 clients normally have a setting called "Leave messages on server".

Would it be possible for you to use ActiveSync? This is a newer protocol than POP3.
New Contributor

Freakinvibe thanks for your advice; yes I have the setting " leave on server" ticked in my outlook settings and this has always worked with previous bbs including the. Bb bolds and torches.but z10 due to its sync technology overrode this command and wiped out all data over 30 days; I have my own domain on secureserver and I will ask them about activeSync.
Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Telus

I am also using Outlook, with a Hotmail account and I have emails on my server at least 3 years old, and to date have not lost any.
Although I do agree that the 30 days back sync is ridiculous. I keep hearing that blackberry is going to fix this with an update to allow for unlimited back sync. I hope they do this soon or they are going to loose their loyal base of customers. I have been a bb owner for 10 years. I will admit that the Z10 is an excellent phone, but if they don't fix it soon I will be going to a windows phone. My work requires me to have easy access to old emails.
New Contributor

Fortunately I have already returned 2 Z10s and now my server is building up its email again. I have been on bbs for 12 years. As I've stated at the outset this is a disaster for bb! Already prior to the release of Z10 BB were fighting for survival and they seem to have blown this opportunity. I keep hearing from colleagues and friends that strong sales have been offset by high returns. Thanks for your help.
My Device: Not Specified

If you are syncing using the active directory and exchange, then there is a no limit setting that can be set by the Blackberry server.