Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: 9300, 9860, 9790, Z10
My Carrier: Batelco, Viva

Re: 3g video calling

The ppl here dosen't know about 3G video calling. That's why every one is talking about bbm vido call and skype video call.

Dear friends, 3G video call is different.

Go to dial pad - dial a number - option - voice call / video call .

If video call is clicked it goes straight through mobile network.

Not through any apps like you mentioned.

New Contributor
My Device: 9300, 9860, 9790, Z10
My Carrier: Batelco, Viva

My Device: Blackberry z10
My Carrier: Blackberry

i prefer this blackberry for video calling in 3g, this facility is easily available in all models of different companies except blackberry. Please send any new software so that video calling through 3g directly get started.
JK
My Device: Blackberry z10
My Carrier: Blackberry

i do not want to know the process as shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYVBok0I6EE. I want direct 3g vdo calling in balckberry z10. send any new version of software update for the same.
JK
My Device: None

Hi,

To clarify the feature that users demand here & to explain it in a more technical way: the users here demand the ability for 3G-324m video calling. It is a UMTS specific feature, that is present across Europe, Asia, Australia, parts of Africa & Latin America.

This feature is not generally available in the USA (available only in GSM networks) & I have no information about its availability in Canada. I would like to also add that the feature is not available on iPhones (any model), Windows Phones, including Lumia by Nokia (except for older discontinued devices, that used the old Windows Mobile/Symbian OS) and Android phones that use stock Android (like the Nexus line or the GPE product line of any other manufacturer). On Android OS developer forums the feature is posted as a requested enhancement with low priority, so I do not personally expect it to come anytime soon, if at all. Some few Android manufacturers have integrated that feature, but it is up to the manufacturer of a certain device to include it (integrated with its specific dialer, so if you install a custom ROM it will be gone) or not. Bear in mind that such implementation would suggest that the manufacturer would also have to pay some licence fees and/or collaborate with certain software companies that provide that solution (although, to my knowledge, there is only one that is publicly advertised).

I personally think that it might be coming in a few years from now, under a different protocol in a different network type (VoLTE), but still it would be a difficult decision for Apple/Google/Microsoft/RIM as there are numerous applications for Video calling that use Wi-Fi /Mobile data connections - this would mean that many of those would loose market share as people would reduce the usage of such applications (for video calls, not the messaging part of the application).

So in conclusion: if someone is looking for the so called "native 3G video calling" - it is currently available on some feature phones and few Android ones-so better check with the manufacturer or do a search before you buy your next phone!!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

thanks argo for your very informative post. I was not even aware about that 3G-324m protocol !

Unfortunately, I think that kind of protocols is doomed to be buried into "nobody makes a client for it". Some reasons have already been exposed by you, and the other reason is that it is simply not worth it to use that protocol when people tend to get 3GB or even 4GB monthly data packages.

When I want to do video conference, I need the recipient to be able to do the same too.

In a full BlackBerry World, there is BBM Video.
In a full Google World, there is Google Hangouts
and for the rest, there is Microsoft's Skype and BBM Meetings.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: z30
My Carrier: glo Nigeria

I'm Frank. Please how can I update my OS to the latest version using my local network provider.