Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor II
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

Re: $9008.00 Data bill from Bell Mobility using z10. Carrier blames hardware.

[ Edited ]

If your APNs are greyed-out you usually can still get to them via the e-screen (Google it) though I hear sometimes this doesn't work with some carriers.  (One of the Windows phones -- I think it was the T-Mo 810 -- had this issue and Nokia posted one of those scan tags on their site that apparently un-greyed them). 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

From my experience with smart phones, I know if updates are done they can go through a lot of data. A software can hang while in the middle of some task that is using data and it can keep streaming in a loop. This once happend to me with a video software on my tablet. From what I have been informed third party software can be suseptable to this problem if not properly written (actually any software).

A big thing with smart phones is to make sure the data plan is large enough. It is recommended for most of these phones to have at least 2 GB of data available. When I am at home I have the phone set to WiFi for data. This way I don't use mobile data.

For each of our Z10's we have 3 GB or more data on the plan depending on how the particular phone will be used. For my phone I have 6 GB because I am often using it as a modem for an i7 laptop. For the phone part, last month I used over 2 GB from my estimate, and not including what I used for my laptop.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

@jerryg50: I completely agree with what you say. In the three weeks leading to my unbelievable 9000$ charge my z10 used about 8GB of data. The usual amount on my previous torch was anywhere from 2-6 GB per month. Having a data plan that adequately covers ones use is terribly important.

Having an unlimited plan is important to users like myself, I never had any issue with my carrier until the switch from the 9800 to my z10.

It isn't the quantity of data that is the issue but rather how the carrier identifies the type of data that is the issue. Several people have mentioned that the carrier may be using the browser string to identify the type of usage and I suspect that something happened during the night when I awoke to the black "attention your browser has crashed screen".

Could it be possible that when the browser crashed it sent data back to the carrier that resembled tethered data? I don't know, but am a little worried about this happening in the future.

From what I understand most modern plans in Canada include tethered data and therefore an incorrect identification of the data wouldn't be a critical issue. In my case and the case of all the people on older plans which include outrageous costs for tethered data this will pose a problem.

I believe there must be a better way for the carrier to identify data usage. If they are unable to accurately determine tethered from on device data they should never have resigned my contract.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced misidentified data use and faced outrageous (or truly obscene as in my case) bills from their carrier.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

"I believe there must be a better way for the carrier to identify data usage. If they are unable to accurately determine tethered from on device data they should never have resigned my contract."

There isn't.  Data is data, and that's the problem.

Most current model phones send control data to the carrier when they engage tethering mode (the Z-10 does so) and thus the carrier can reject it.  Some change the APN "silently", which you will only catch through the phone's diagnostic screens.  How this is done varies on a carrier-by-carrier basis, but this has become common over the last few years.

The problem is that this only applies to phones that are playing "nice" from the carrier's perspective.

A packet of data is a packet of data.  It is not possible to know with certainty what generated it -- whether it's a tethered device or the phone itself.  This creates a policy enforcement problem for the carriers and they've "solved" it through their hinky games with APN changes and similar.  But they've backed that up with actual packet inspection to try to detect people they believe are "cheating."

In most cases where tethering is not included in a given plan it simply redirects any browsing attempts to an intercept screen that tries to upsell you on whatever the carrier adds to your account.  But if you have a situation where the carrier doesn't prohibit tethering but instead charges a ridiculous amount of money for it then you run into the sort of problem you have seen if the carrier misidentifies what your phone is doing.

The carriers in the US have taken to all sorts of rather nasty (and really pretty evil) steps in an attempt to force people off legacy plans that have unlimited data buckets; one of the tricks here has been to introduce new APNs required for LTE service and then refusing to allow them to be used unless you forfeit your legacy unlimited data plan.  No new APN, no LTE -- period.  With the Z-10 this is especially evil because most carriers also locked the APN setting screen and thus you can be effectively prohibited from using the Zed at all on the legacy "unlimited" data plans!  Another favored trick is to look at the IMEI prefix and refuse to allow newer devices to register on the older plans, usually for data service (that is, phone calls and text messages will work but nothing else.)

8GB of data on the device in a month, with nothing tethered to it, is a hell of a lot of data.  It's pretty difficult to generate that must use with one exception -- if you are watching an awful lot of streaming video.  And that may be part of the problem here -- the carrier may be expecting streaming video access to go to a "mobile" URL on the particular service (e.g. Youtube) and "catching" that it is not, considering that use tethered though in fact it isn't.

In the end the best option if you are never going to use tethering and have such a plan is to raise hell and demand that the carrier block alleged "tethering" rather than billing you at the per-megabyte rate.  Virtually all carriers can do this through a flag on your account but of course they love billing you per-megabyte instead.  Then the worst thing that happens is that you run into problems where your phone's data doesn't work right, and you can raise a stink about that separately.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I'm not the only one with Bell having problems but sadly not has bad has that! please update has you investigate more

@robgambino: Will keep you posted as things develop. So far things seem to be ok. This month I am enjoying the blazingly fast lte speed temporarily until I get my old unlimited hspa+ plan back. I must say wow, lte is fast but it isn't worth giving up my unlimited data plan for it.

The one thing I can say about my experience with bell is that there appears to be only a small percentage of employees who actually have power to do anything. Additionally there is a large number of csr's with all departments that don't know much about legacy plans and products.

My advice to anyone is escalate escalate escalate... don't be afraid to ask for someone's supervisor and be prepared to repeat your story dozens and dozens of times. Always ask for names or employee numbers and keep a log of all your calls and developments. Same goes for BlackBerry small business support.

Best of luck.

New Contributor

Also, read the complaint process with bell and follow it properly. Escalate things to the executive level and then with the ctcs if the result isn't acceptable.