Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Thats a good question

APN setting on the BB z10

OK I need help. I have Straight Talk. I have an Unlocked z10 and cannot change APN settings. In this day and age it is a requirment as the are many providers sitting on top of othere providers. EG Straight Talk sits on ATT. So please tell me there is a way to change the APN settings as this is a complete game changer. I love the phone but if this does not change I am going to have to go back to my iPhone.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Re: APN setting on the BB z10

Lots of other posts on this.

It seems that some people can change APN, some can't.

It would appear to be SIM card dependant.

Officially, you're supposed to request an update from your carrier, and they will send your phone a message that will update the APN.

I don't know if carriers have demanded this lock on the Z10, or if it is an oversight by BB. I have not seen any official update that this will be fixed in the pending OS update.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying however not all providers work the way you are suggesting. Android and Iphone users have the ability to change APN settings or "there's and app for that". Its a shame as I am going to have to switch back. I love the phone but the bottom line is if there are many posts on this I would think BB setup and answer quick as they are going to lose many and I dont think i would come back if i now switch to my old phone.

Solutions: 6,330
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Well, it could change. It is what it is for now.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook

BB does not normally respond in these forums. Sometimes, a kindly BB technical advisor will, but I don't think that they give out much info on the pending update.

You can try calling your carrier and try to get them to pass you thru to BB tech support.

Otherwise, I can't see BB NOT addressing this, unless they are being forced by carriers.

Contributor

Tried calling the provider and there is no help there. Shame I will have to return to BB z10 dues to the inability to change/Edit APN setting when a SIM is not associated to the provider. My Iphone works and my wifes Android works fine as there are deitable APN settings. I wonder how many more people will be returnning their BB's due to this inability of a locked APN on a Factory unlocked phone.

Solutions: 6,330
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I wonder how many general users even know or look at the APN.

A very small percentage, is my guess.

And I certainly agree... it should be an editable item.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: STT

I had the same problem with my UK Unlocked Blackberry Z10 I tried installing a net10 and straighttalk sim which are both similar, and I could not change the APN. I could call and sms but no mms and data. This is not so good as there is a big market of non-contract cell phone users.

Contributor

You are 100% correct. It is /was the same thing for me. I have returned my BB today. I also did not realize there are 4 versions out there currently and becuase of the delays to the states and a staggered WW deployment I think is causeing more issues as the supported frequecies are different on each unit. Still i gues that is another thread. As for missing a whole market you are right as this is THE way the market is going and has been for some time. Not sure who has done their research but it is messy and will lose them many people. But I am sure over time the IPS's will demand BB help for their APN's etc . Still kinda too late for me esp as there are now some more new phones coming out from samsung and others BB cant afford to lose just one Customer really IMO.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry z10
My Carrier: straight talk

So no one still has figured out how to update their apn ? There has got to be a way to do that. I love the phone but I would love to get the full power over the phone while I'm on the go.
I have talked to straight talk tech support but they said they can't push the apn to blackberries just because that's the way they're. However they can do that to the iPhone because it has some app.
I am going to call blackberry support and see what they have to say, if they are ever going to unlock the apn.