Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: PC Mobile (Bell MVNO)

Re: APN setting on the BB z10

I am attempting to use my new unlocked Z10 with PC Mobile ( a MVNO of Bell) which requires  a special APN for data access (proxy.bell.ca) but as reported on several other forums, the Z10 defaults to blackberry.net and is greyed out (unable to edit). I previously used a Nokia N8 (symbian) with this SIM that would default to APN pda.bell.ca.  On the N8 I could manually adjust the APN to different settings.  What has Blackberry done with this phone to prevent users from altering the APN? I even browsed the How To online manual which implies I should be able to alter the APN settings, http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/47561/mwa1340200542334.jsp

If Blackberry doesn't fix this soon they will be loosing me as customer.  I have attempted to contact PC Mobile (Bell Technical) and they claim they are not doing anything to cause this issue.  It is extremely frustrating since Blackberry doesn't offer any direct technical support for their phones.

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Bell has that APN locked, not BlackBerry.

It is available to edit on other mobile networks.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Carrier: Various

JSanders wrote:

Bell has that APN locked, not BlackBerry.

It is available to edit on other mobile networks.

I wish people would STOP syaing that the carrier somehow "locked" these settings on the phone.

I have several SIM cards for testing. A card I have from Europe definitely does NOT have any APN locking on it, but data does not work with Z10 because I cannot change the APN settings.

If I enter a sim card from "Fido" for example - the APN does not change and I still cannot edit it resulting in again NO DATA.

My Z10 is a developer edition, factory UNLOCKED.

How is this locked by a carrier? Why on earth would carrier lock this on Z10 only? I have about 5 iPhones... locked and unlocked ones and I can ALWAYS change the APN settings no matter which card I put in.

I have nothing against this setting not even being there. I don't care about the APN settings as long as my data and MMS work. Unfortunately - this is not always seamless so one has to fiddle with it. 

MANY people I talked to and in this forum are first adopters who promote the phone. I completely stopped telling people to get it instead of an iPhone because it simply does not work with this setting locked.

BlackBerry can unlock this if they want to so PLEASE, PLEASE stop blaming the carriers - ask BB to give us a fix so we can actually use the phone as intended.

djogon wrote:

I have several SIM cards for testing. A card I have from Europe definitely does NOT have any APN locking on it, but data does not work with Z10 because I cannot change the APN settings.

If I enter a sim card from "Fido" for example - the APN does not change and I still cannot edit it resulting in again NO DATA.

I believe you just proved my point.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Developer
My Carrier: Various

JSanders wrote:

I believe you just proved my point.

I don't see how, but please - let's not make this yet another thread about who said what. 

Z10 is the only phone I have seen that has this APN locking so there is really no point in blaming anyone else by BB for the problem.

How then do other users have the APN available for editing, on the Z10, if it is not a carrier setting.

Besides, I see you say you're already recommending your friends get the iPhone instead of the Z10? Smiley Sad

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Thats a good question

Guys if you don't no what you are taking about please don't post. I started this post for people that technically know what they are saying and doing. It is a BlackBerry issue period. Stop posting if you don't know what you are taking about. Thank you

royalblue32 wrote:
Guys if you don't no what you are taking about please don't post.

Wow.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry z10
My Carrier: straight talk

If you think the carrier is the only one that locks it please show me one carrier that doesn't lock it for data access.
Also because all of us are able to receive calls and texts, just no mms or data, should already tell you that carrier has nothing to do with it.
Another point, as stated by the blackberry, the phone automatically populates the apn settings. That's great, however not all carriers are obviously being supported or known by blackberry because they use ame towers as the big companies so it sets it as if we are on a big carrier and unable to receive our data. Yes, the att sim comes with apn settings built in, however carriers like straight talk do not have the apn settings set automatically on the sim. You say you are on att and Verizon. Can you edit your apn? Can you show proof?

Trust me, this is a carrier lock, not the BlackBerry device or OS doing it. I know that for a fact.

There many posts in this forum of users stating their APN is open to editing, at least one in this thread.

Knowledge Base Updates