Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

APN settings on Bell Z10

I travel frequently and when in the US, I use an prepaid At&t witha data package. On an unlocked iPhone or Android one has to change the APN setting to enable the phone to access the internet over there. On my Z10 the APN setting is ghreyed out and fixed to blackberry.net.

Question: If I get Bell to unlock the phone, will the APN settings become changable by the user ?

Are the APN settings hardcoded on the the device or are they forced by the SIM card that's used at the moment ? 

Will Telus or Rogers also grey out the APN settings ? 

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: APN settings on Bell Z10

Hey igord,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

The APN settings are hardcorded and forced by the SIM card so no manual input is required on the BlackBerry Z10.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Thank you for explaining.  So, if I were to have Bell unlock my Z10 and insert a prepaid At&t SIM card (with data package) my understanding is that the APN field would automatically set itself to the appropriate value. Correct ? 

If this doesn't happen would the user then be able to edit the APN ?  The reason I'm asking is that there were reports of unlocked Z10s from the UK that had no value in the APN field and it still wasn't possible to edit them.  

Thank you for your patience in explaining this. Can't wait to get a Z10 myself. 

New Contributor
My Carrier: Austrian operator

i bought the Z10 in the UK and today i got it. So i insert my SIM-Card (i use a virtual provider in Austria) and the problem is that the Z10 recognises the sim as a SIM-Card from "normal" provider (my virtual provider uses the network from an other provider) AND uses this APN data, which is not equal to the data of my virtual provider -> cannot use the internet

So, here is the question?

I bought a phone for 600€ and there is no way to change the APN? No chance to change it?

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

I've got two BlackBerry Z10 London devices that I cannot get our data package with Tele2 to work with.

I'm located in Sweden and I'm wondering if the London devices are supposed to work here or if it's the Liverpool ones for our market?

Either way, I guess I could get it to work if it is possible to change the APN setting? Currently it resets to blackberry.net if I try to save a new one.

Contributor

The London supports: 

21Mbps HSPA+
Quad-band HSPA+ 1,2,5/6,8 (850/900/1900/2100 MHz)
Quad band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

The Liverpool supports: 

Quad band LTE 3, 7, 8, 20 (1800/2600/900/700 MHz)
Tri band HSPA+ 1, 5/6, 8 (2100/850/900 MHz)
Quad band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

It boils down on whether your carrier supports LTE. If it does, the Liverpool will work best, otherwise it's the London.

I was told the APN is pushed to the device by the SIM card, which means that you need a properly provisioned dataplan. This complicates things for people who travel and swap SIM cards to avoid roaming charges. I'm suprised there is no way to manually change the APN (ie via desktop software). This is a pretty bad flaw in my opinion. 

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

[ Edited ]

Thanks Igord, that information was very helpful.

It appears that my carrier indeed supports only LTE for 4G and from what I can tell from your information, there is no 3G support on the BlackBerry London.
I might be wrong as I've got no clue about network bandwidths etc. It would be way easier if the carrier just stated the technical specification instead of using generic terms like 3G and 4G that I don't know what they mean by.

I'll just have to get a BlackBerry Liverpool I guess. I wonder if its Qualcomm GPU is better than the Imagination GPU in any way.

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey igord,

Thanks for the reply.

And yes you are correct, if you unlock the BlackBerry Z10 and insert a prepaid ATT SIM card, the APN field would be set automatically.

In BlackBerry 10 the APN setting can not be edited.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

ViciousFerret wrote:

Hey igord,

Thanks for the reply.

And yes you are correct, if you unlock the BlackBerry Z10 and insert a prepaid ATT SIM card, the APN field would be set automatically.

In BlackBerry 10 the APN setting can not be edited.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  Cheers.

As I have posted in one other thread here this is absolutely crazy not to allow the user to edit the APN.  Every single other smartphone (including many dumb-phones) have the ability to change the APN.

in some cases the "automatically" set APN is incorrect or the user may want to use a different one (for instance in my case I would like to use pda.bell.ca instead of blackberry.net) but I cannot change this setting.  BlackBerry is now officially the only manufacturer that locks down this setting when paired with certain carriers and/or operating in certain regions.  Can we please get this fixed and the lock removed?  Not being able to set the APN is seriously hindering the benefits of the BlackBerry as a worldwide phone.  I've been a BlackBerry die-hard for almost 10 years, but I am finding it difficult to swallow this pill...

Also, why is it that some phones can actually change the APN and save the settings, others can change the APN but cannot save the settings, and then others cannot change the APN at all?

Bottom line is, we should be able to set the APN to whatever we want at any point in time.

Contributor

I agree with this. Right now every single smartphone seems to allow users to change the APN. iPhone hides the APN information but it is nevertheless possible to change it via software utility or a web-based profile creator. As it stands now, one can't really consider the Z10 for international travel unless one is certain the destination carrier supports Z10 with their plan (ie data is provisioned, which is often not true for a prepaid data package for example).