Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Accessibility mode FAIL

I want to love BB 10 OS & my Z10.  I am proud to put my phone on the table with all the iPhone fanboys and let them know they are slavish drones!  But I stumbled into a major design flaw today and I want to nuke my Z10!

Maybe I'm just nervous, but I must have pressed the Lock button 3 times. Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz clicking her heals.  The next thing I know the phone is talking to me.  Thus ensues 2 hrs of maximum frustration Smiley Sad  There is ABSOLUTELY NO SCREEN SUPPORT that tells me I'm in Accessibilty mode.  A simple message: "Press Lock 3 Times to Exit Accissibility Mode" would have helped immensely.

The operation of the phone becomes100% inscrutible.  I later learn that this mode is for the visually impaired.  I would like to know what testing was done with people who needed this 'feature?'  Close your eyes and tell me it helps!  It only stumbles, stammers, fails to respond!  I later learned with a call to the ever-helpful T-Mobile support people that a three finger swipe at precise angles, velocity and incredible accuracy has a PRAYER or reversing this mode.  OMG!  I was going to drive to a T-Mobile store or the hospital emergency room after the hara-kiri I was sure would be more humane than this devil spawn of a BETA FEATURE!!

PLEASE: make the triple lock press a DEFAULT OFF function for accessibility.  If you are visually impared it would be a purposeful selection that would require assistance anyway.  DON'T MAKE IT THE DEFAULT!  And for heaven's sake make disabling/reversing it obvious.  Who could possibly imagine that three finger swipes or triple clicks (seriously??) would be natural UI features?

I want to love BB, but this really crashes my party Smiley Sad

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30, Z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

Re: Accessibility mode FAIL

Pressing the power button three times enables Screen Reader Beta in Accessibility Mode, you must have also confirmed Confirmation Message (default On) to accidentally have gone into that mode.