Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Emtel - Mauritius

Allow Applications to connect only when WIFI is on

Hi Everyone,

Can someone help me find the setting when i can configure that the applications (facebook, whatsapp, twitter, etc.. ) are to retrieve data only when the z10 is connected to a wifi please ?

I dont know what application is using data plan and therefore using all my credit when wifi is not on and cant find the setting to prevent that.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (STL 100-2) -10.1.0.4181
My Carrier: Optus

Re: Allow Applications to connect only when WIFI is on

If you're content to use these things only over wi-fi, then couldn't you turn off their notifications and/or not use them via your mobile data plan?
I don't think such an all encompassing setting has been implemented yet on any platform - (short of turning off Mobile Data). I hope this helps.
Disclaimer:
I know a little about lots of things,
yet not a great lot about those little-things.
Ultimately, I'm here to learn.
Contributor

Thats exactly what i want... Not to use them over the data plan and only use them when the wifi is on. But i dont know what and where to go to set this up. ;-( If you could help me do that, that would be great.

This thing is something is eating up my credit on my phone and i cant seem to find out which one! any way to know what application is running or any app that can help in that pls ?

In samsung and iphone i think this feature exists....

Trusted Contributor

You mentioned how to stop 'retrieving data' ..not restricting background data whilst not on wi-fi. I suggest that you restrict or disable Facebook notifications when wi-fi isn't available. To gain any inkling of how the Facebook App handles background data on BlackBerry you would have to enquire in the developer forums.

Disclaimer:
Trusted Contributor

Please excuse the copy and paste:
Quote: tanzim Elite II
Nov 7
"Yes this can be done for Facebook for BlackBerry app as well.

Go to Facebook apps > press Menu button > select Options > scroll down to Refresh Option > in Refresh News Feed : Never."
Unquote: - I don't know how relevant this is now, but it might give you a clue about what to look for.
Disclaimer:
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

You'll be happy to know that your phone is set up to favor a Wi-Fi connection over a network connection when both are present.  As long as your Wi-Fi is turned on and you have a good signal, your phone will retrieve its data, including Facebook, over Wi-Fi exclusively.  Just make sure you have a strong signal otherwise your phone will revert back to your network connection.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor

thanks for the reply. informations are always good.
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. ;-)