Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: TMobile

App Access to Data on Phone

Does anyone know why the apps downloaded from Blackberry World have such crazy demands to access data on your phone?  I wanted to download an app that would auto shut on/off my Z10, but the app wanted access to photos, documents and plainly said it "might" share this data with a third party - uh, what?  I deleted it. Am I being overly cautious - do others allow the apps to access your phone?  Thanks in advance!!

Mark

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: App Access to Data on Phone

if you dont like what it is asking for then delete it

I have not installed a lot of them for the same reason

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Yes I done the very same I even took off Skype because they demand to have access to your files!
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Many apps have features that let you save something to a file, or perhaps import or use a file from your Shared folder. For such features to work, the app must have permission.

The problem is: permissions are requested on behalf of the app by the OS on first run. The apps don't do it themselves, and they cannot wait until you actually use a certain feature to ask for the relevant permission.

Another trend is that apps must "bloat" their functionality to achieve Built For BlackBerry status. There are requirements related to system integration, even for apps that really don't need it. This leads to excessive permission requests.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands