Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Audio background static/noise with headphones

Hi all,

New BB user here who just bought a new Z10 this past Tuesday. First off, I'm extremely pleased with the Z10 so far! However, as I like to use my phone as a music player, I am a little disappointed that the audio signal with my headphones plugged in is slightly noisy (i.e., there is faint background static). The audio quality is otherwise stellar, but this static detracts from the experience and is particularly noticible in quiter sections of my music.

The static only plays through the headphones when the Z10's audio amp is activated (when loading a music or video app, there's a distinct "click" and then comes the persistent static fuzz). I assume the audio amp is otherwise shut off when these apps are closed to save power. The static persists in these media apps, even when the volume is reduced to 0, and does not increase much when turning the volume to max.

Although for a different phone, my problem is identical to the one described in the following link:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-general-discussions/95760-headphone-noise-static-hum.html

Based on my electrical engineering background and research into the problem, the line carrying the audio on the Z10 is probably not being properly shielded. As suggested ine link, using my higher input impedance headphones from home (32ohm vs. 16ohm Razer earbuds I use for listening everywhere else) seems to eliminate the static noise, but considering how much the Z10 costs, I feel that the audio should be clear of background static without having to resort to a workaround.

Has anyone else noticed this issue while listening to audio on the Z10? Or is it a problem with my phone only, in which case I should request a replacement from my provider? (Again, the audio quality is excellent otherwise, and so I'd like to keep the same model of phone)

Thanks,

Backsp1n

New Contributor
My Device: Z10, Curve 9360, 8520
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Audio background static/noise with headphones

I haven't researched the topic much but I want to comment on competitor smart phones and headphone compatibility.

Now manufacturers like Sony for example are producing headphones/ear-buds that are device specific...I tested out my pair of the newest apple headphones and found that the speaker doesn't work, volume controls don't work, and there is a constant ringing while playing music.

I also tested out a "universal" mono-ear bud made by Body Glove for hands-free calling and this worked no problems.

What model of headphones are you using with your Z10?
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi maka, so I take it you don't hear any static when playing music at 0 volume?

I've never tried Apple headphones, though I suppose restricting compatibility to Apple devices fits with their business strategy. I'm using Razer protone m100s (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Razer/m100/). They've served me well over the years.

Other audio devices I have also tried with the Z10:

-My brother's $300 Klipsch earbuds (faint static persists)

-High quality car stereo (faint static is audible only when the car stereo volume is high, i.e., I can turn the external amp down and increase the output volume of the Z10 to achieve crystal clear sound)

-Razer Charcharias headset (has an inline audio amp and higher input impedance than the earbuds => same situation as car stereo)

New Contributor

I just ran another test using the apple earbuds and the problem seemed to go away...not only is the sound working well, but the volume controls and voice command shortcut are functioning.

I did however gank the battery for an issue regarding my LED indicator not working for sms.

Maybe give this a try?
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

1) I don't have static when I use my Etymotics HF2 http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.html

2) maka530 what is the reference of your Apple Earbuds please? I'd like to know how to distinguish what models (not Apple) have commands compatible with the Z10.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Hey Xandrex, so check out the "Body Glove" crc76140. 

Its a mono hands free headset, on the packaging, they fit 2.5mm or 3.5mm Jack (Not compatible with Nokia Phones).

I purchased this earbud at a local Wal-mart for $10, and it works really well!

Guru I

thanks rnaka but I was asking about your Apple earbuds?
My current Etymotics HF-2 can do the same as that body glove already.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Guru I

thanks, I have a colleague who has those. I'll ask him to try on my Z10 and my 8900 if he can skip songs easily with it.

New Contributor

Some good news regarding the original issue of this thread: problem solved! I went to my provider today and used my headphones with another Z10 at the store and determined that it has the exact same background static on the audio as mine. Unfortunately, this means that the high noise floor is likely a design issue with the Z10's audio line, albeit a very minor one. The only reason I care about it in the first place is because I listen to a fair amount of classical music and I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my audio... Anyways, I stopped by The Source (AKA Radioshack) and picked up an inline volume controller for 7 bucks and it worked like a charm. I had to turn up the volume output on the phone's controller slightly, but with the external controller I can make the faint static completely inaudible and still receive a strong signal from the music.