Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: o2

B z10 Email address does not support "-" inn address

I have 9 e-mail accounts with different providers and have just moved to the z-10 having had 4 previous blackberry's. I have totally failed after 3 days to connect my e-mail, but have just succeeded. In all previous attempts I have used my existing account that all have a "-" in the email address. These failed to connect irrespective of allowing the BB to connect automatically or by using advanced setup. The login, pop, SMS & port settings & password on every attempt were correct.

However I then created an account on the same provider with an email address without "-" and it connected instantly. Same settings, password, smtp & pop & ports.

So there is a problem with RIM.

Any other suggestions on how I resolve the problem.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch

Re: B z10 Email address does not support "-" inn address

Continueing.. i noticed when trying to set up the e-mail account that the BB altered the e-mail address. My e-mail address is ??????.lane-browns@.  Having completed the advanced setup and pressing done, the e-mail address had been shortened to browns@. As there is no such account it always failed.   Somewhere within the RIM software it is changing the e-mail name and deleting all characters before the "-".

BlackBerry Employee
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I just created a hotmail account in the format of firstname-lastname-2@hotmail.com and I successfully added the account.  So it definitely is possibly to add accounts with a "-" in it.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Graham, correct me if I'm wrong but by not adding the hyphen, have you not added someone else's email address?
Torch 9800
Bold 9900
PlayBook 32GB
Z10
Passport
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: orange

I have had same problem;  I have an email address with a "-" in the domain name part (middle bit) and it worked fine on my Bold 9000 but not on the Z10... How does one let Blackberry know about this?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Blackberry knows about it now.

wish i had more news

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thank you.  From your experience, what do you think is a likely time response for Blackberry on something like this?  I am considering going back to the seller and opting for an iphone 5 instead!!!  It is disappointing, I really thought the Z10 would be the business.  Would you hang on, if you were me?  

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

@Joe183

You are not only dealing with a brand new product you are dealing with a brand new platform. These small issues will likely be ironed out quickly. Perhaps it's not a problem with the hyphenation something else and the hyphen is just a coincidence.

Considering you just made this issue apparent they may need more than a few hours to attend to this.
New Contributor

I now believe the problem to be with setting up pop email addresses.  I have since tried with an IMAP and it is fine.  Something to do with their push and pull and the outage last year.  This is a mix of the carphone people, a guy in my hosting company, and our own IT consultant, so not entirely sure yet.  I am going to change my pop to imap and see if that does it.  

BlackBerry Employee
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

joe183 wrote:

I now believe the problem to be with setting up pop email addresses.  I have since tried with an IMAP and it is fine.  Something to do with their push and pull and the outage last year.  This is a mix of the carphone people, a guy in my hosting company, and our own IT consultant, so not entirely sure yet.  I am going to change my pop to imap and see if that does it.  

Please see KB29891 as a potential cause of accounts failing to integrate.