Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

BB Z10 wont connect to Dell XPS 9530 via USB

Hello,

I have submitted an email to betainfo@blackberry.com over a month ago today and have yet to receive a response or acknowledgement of my email. Let me copy my email here in hopes of getting some help:

I have been having problems trying to connect my BB Z10 via BB Link with a USB cable to my Dell XPS 15 laptop which is running Windows 8.1 x64

When I plug in my phone using the USB cable which came with my phone windows does not play the connection sound. In other words, my phone is not recognized at all by windows.

I have tried the following things:
Setting my phone toConnect toAutoDetect, Windows,Macfor the USB setting
Restarting phone/laptop
Reinstalling BB Link numerous times
Tried the latest version of BB Link as well as the previous version
Tried the OS 10.2.1 and 10.2 on my Z10
In Device manager, when showing hidden devices,I see thatBlackberry Smartphone is shown without any yellow exclamation marks
Tried a different USB cable, other than the one supplied by BB with my phone
Tried connectingto allof my USB 2.0/3.0 ports
Ensured mass storage mode is off
Turned off windows firewall
Turned off windows defender (don't have any other anti-virus etc. running)

Also here are some other interesting things I have come upon when troubleshooting:
My Z10 is able to connect fine using BB Link on my Dell Inspiron 6400 running Windows 7 x64
My BB 9700 is able to connect fine to my Dell XPS 15 (the machine Im having problems connecting my Z10 to)
All other USB devices that I have connected to my Dell XPS 15 do not experience any issues
My Z10 will charge when connected to my Dell XPS 15
When my Z10 is connected to my Dell XPS 15 and I reboot the phone, during the time the Blackberry logo appears, Windows will make the USB connection sound and then a few seconds later make the disconnection sound. This shows me that the phone is able, at some point, to connect.

I was also able to successfully connect to a Inspiron 7000 running Windows 8.1 x64.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am out of ideas. Also, please let me know if you require any additional information.

Thanks

Regular Contributor
My Device: Classic
My Carrier: O2

Re: BB Z10 wont connect to Dell XPS 9530 via USB

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I wonder if my experience might help? I have an Alienware Aurora 4 running win 7 ultimate 64bit. I set up my Z10 and link without any difficulty. I then reattached an 9780 and it installed it's software. When I plugged the Z10 back in, it wasn't recognised, I had to download link manually and reinstall. After that, everything worked ok. Might be worth giving it a go as the installation of the earlier model obviously stopped the Z10 working on my machine.
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I haven't attached an older phone to this laptop. Regardless I did uninstall and reinstall link and it still resulted in the same problem. In fact I have reinstalled it more than 5 times I believe.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Classic
My Carrier: O2

Sorry Geever have you had a look at the Dell's system logs?
Contributor
My Device: Q10 and 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have the identical problem (except I have the Blackberry Q10 device which also runs OS10) and have tried ALL fo the same solutions, without any luck.

Dell XPS 15.6", Windows 8.1 64x

Blackberry Q10.

Over the phone (and tech support remote access), Dell spent 4 hours trying to fix it plus another 2hrs doing a factory reset & windows reinstallation of my machine, Vodafone spent 2hrs and then Vodafone passed me to Blackberry who also spent 1.5hrs. No one gets it. Mortified as this is the most important use of the computer for me. Have easily spent 30-40hrs of my time trying things.

Tech support keeps wasting time trying to install and uninstall Blackberry software when, as you said, the problem is even before getting to Blackberry Link, i.e. laptop does not detect any device.

Worth noting:

* The same BB Q10 device worked fine with other laptops running Win 8.1 (as I went to a shop floor and tried connecting to a few laptops like Toshiba and HP); tho with one of them apparently only one of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports worked.

* The same BB Q10 device does work on my old Inspiron 1540 laptop (Win 7 OS)

* My Blackberry Curve device works fine on my new Dell XPS.

* Wireless synch with the device actually works fine BUT Blackberry have unhelpfully not allowed contacts synch and backup to take place over the wifi connection.

* Tech support said 'drivers' are not relevant as the laptop would at least have shown 'unidentified device' or something in device manager if the problem was just thr driver.

Such a shame because this laptop seemed like the only one on the market that met my spec (Windows, 15", only Solid State Drive, weight about 2kg or less). Torn about whether to return the Dell laptop.

PLEASE do update if anyone finds a solution.

Contributor

Further observation (after trying ideas from another thread in this forum):

* If you reboot the Blackberry device while staying connected to Dell XPS laptop by USB, then during the reboot the Device Manager does show up "Blackberry Smartphone" (which u can right click to see properties, and it says "device is working fine"). BUT by the time the phone reboot completes the status in the pop-up window changes to "device is not connected"; and it still tells you (on searching for updates) that the driver is most up to date.

* In the USB controllers list the "Blackberry Smartphone" entry disappears (or will appear as grey if you click "View Hidden items".

* Disconnecting the device does not make the greyed out "Blackberry Smartphone" line disappear.

Contributor

Hello. I have yet to solve my problem although I'm hoping you might be able to try something I haven't had a chance to do yet. 

Can you put a usb 2.0 hub in between the laptop and the phone and see if that solves the problem. I don't have one so haven't been able to try. Hoping that you do. 

I have set up my XPS to debug the usb stack and determine the root of the problem but haven't seen anything useful in the logs. I'm hoping some BlackBerry employee might be able to take a look at them. I can send them the debug trace if they contact me. 

Highlighted
Contributor

SOLVED in my case now!!

Dell XPS 15" laptop (purchased May-2014)
Blackberry Q10 phone (running OS10)

Tried everything mentioned in these forums (see my earlier posts); and had the same symptoms (i.e. Blackberry shows up under USB controllers ONLY when I reboot the phone, while connected by USB wire to laptop; but then greys out - visible by 'View menu - show hidden').

Latest thing I tried is: connected a USB hub in the middle. Now it works!
USB 2.0 hub with no power - Advent brand - 4 outputs, 1 input
Hub was detected by laptops 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports; then Blackberry Q10 was detected (through both laptop ports).

Connection is slow (due to USB 2.0) tho, for photos/videos trf, so I will next try a USB 3.0 hub.

Such a relief! ...even if sub-optimal solution!

PS- PLEASE CAN EVERYONE state what laptop they are using + which USB port, as I believe some brands of Windows 8.1 laptops do not have the problem (with USB 2 or 3), per my tests in a Currys UK laptop store; and Dell XPS is systematically flawed -- giving the most problems on this front.

Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hey, thanks for your solution.

It did not work for me because all my ports on my Dell are USB 2.0 and 3.0 with Powershare.

What should I do now?

New Contributor
My Device: Q10: SQN100-2
My Carrier: Verizon

I have just bought a Dell XPS 15 (8949) laptop (awesome) and tried to connect my Q10. I have experienced exactly the same problem as described in the previous posts. The Q10 works fine with Bberry link on my other one year old HP Envy laptop, and all the USB ports on the new Dell work OK with all my other devices (including an iphone).

When I plug the Q10 into the Dell nothing happens - no sound - and the device is not recognized. I tried the various ideas others have suggested but made no progress. I then tried the USB 2.0 Hub workaround (congratulations to whoever thought of trying that) and that works OK, and I can sync my outlook calendar, contacts etc. However, I can't believe Bberry think that's an acceptable solution given the clutter now on my desk.

Has anyone learn't anything new about what's going on here?

Anyone from Bberry shown any interest? - I'm dong my best to remain a customer.