Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10, Q10 (partners really), PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Re: BBM contacts showing in contacts but not in hub

Yes there are no contacts listed in the BBM app.

Where do you set up BBM contacts then?

Because despite your insistence there is no add contact in the BBM app.

If your response is going to be 'in the contacts app' then this is what I have done and is the whole reason behind my posting.

I'm working on some screenshots that hide personal data so you can see that what I'm saying is happening.

=====================================
Recent BlackBerry 10 convert (from guess what)
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I will edit my instructions in my previous post with 'invite to BBM' instead of 'add contact',, mu mistake.

I will also say again, this must be done in the BBM APP... and your contacts will have to accept your invitation, just like any other messaging program (MSN, Skype, WhatsApp) your invitations must be accepted before you chat with your friends.
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10, Q10 (partners really), PlayBook
My Carrier: None

[ Edited ]

Ok so the statement I made in my second posting is true then.

If you don't want to call it a bug then it is at least very poor design, I expect the BBM contact I've entered in contacts to show up in the contact list for both the hub and the bbm app

I don't want to chat with them I just want them to show up in the contact list!

I've tested this and adding an email or twitter account manually to a contact brings it up in the contacts list so why not for BBM?

Having to first invite a bbm contact to chat before it gets added to the list is ridiculous.

It's inconsistant behaviour and if I had over a hundred BBM contacts incredibly time consuming.

And with your skype analogy, skype will let you search and bring up a list of contacts you can add, whether they want to accept you or not is irrelevant to whether they show up in your contact list.

=====================================
Recent BlackBerry 10 convert (from guess what)
Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't think you understand the invitation concept. Smiley Happy

You have to add contacts to BBM, in the bbm app, end of story there is no other place to do it.

Just like you need to 'follow' someone on Twitter, 'friend' someone on Facebook, 'invite' someone on LinkedIn, 'add a contact' in WhatsApp, etc. There is a process to link up with people on all of these platforms, and bbm is no different.

You cannot 'DM' someone on 'Twitter' if you don't follow each other, or chat with someone on Facebook if you aren't both friends, you also cannot message someone on BBM if you haven't sent them and invitation and had it accepted.

This is simply there to stop endless piles of spiced ham ending up in your BBM 'inbox'.

Just because you have a contact in your contact app with a valid blackberry id email or their pin does not mean that you get linked on bbm, this must be done through invitations in bbm. That's how it works. You can however type in a contact's name during the BBM invite process rather that type in their email or pin.

That said, it would be a nice feature to have an 'invite to BBM' option in the contacts app if either of those criteria are met, and I will add that to the suggestion thread on this board.

As for Skype, sure you can see all of the contacts that are available to link up with, but depending on the security settings you have chosen, you cannot chat with people in less they accept you as a contact on Skype either... unless they specifically set their Skype account to accept messages from non contacts. personally I have Skype clamped down as it is a cesspool of spiced ham if it is not.

Anyhoo.. if you want to bbm with people, send them an invite from the app. When that accept you they will be available to you in the hub. End of story. Smiley Very Happy
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy