Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Movistar

BBM says "NO BLACKBERRY DATA" - Help!

I have a Z10 from the first days of it. Buyed in the US, was bring to Colombia, I configure everything and appears to work fine just the FIRST day. BBM, Browser, every data connection works well the first hours. After the first day, the BBM only works with WiFi, not with the sim card active. Now, back in Argentina after my holidays, I pulled out my SIM from a 9800, cutted and put inside the Z10.

After the first attempts, with the Z10 configured previously in Colombia, I can open the BBM but I can't send or receive messages, all the other apps, like browser, FB, TW, calls, works fine, not the BBM. I have contacted the company many times but they says that the BIS are working like always, any changes. I register the Z10 IMEI with the company.

They reccomend to reinstall the BBM or update the soft, so I try to connect it to BB Link with NO luck. I can't connect my device to the BB Link (another issue!!), I didn't see any files there and says "Can't connect to the device" or something... sucks!. 

In this days the new update for the OS 10 was available so I connect the device to BB Desktop Soft and I made a full restore. He upgrade my OS and restore everything to factory defaults. 

What happened now?? Worst.

i configure my BBID and works, I configure e-mail accounts and works, I configure the FB and TW and works, when the configuration was ready, I tried to open BBM and after 2 seconds appear a big "!" in red and says "No BlackBerry Data, BBM is unable to connect to the server. Please try again later".   (????)

When is later??? After full 24 hours after the update, the banner still there... BBM DOESN'T WORK and with the BB Link still can't connect to see my files in there... So what?? What's going on? Somebody can help me? Someone has the same problem?? 

Now, after 10 days having this problems, I'm guessing to send my device back to the states, or give it to my little brother as a toy and I will buy a good I5.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english... English, Spanish and Portuguese answers accepted!.

Manu.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BBM says "NO BLACKBERRY DATA" - Help!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I think you are experiencing the problem of carriers trying to adapt to the very different way that BB10 works versus legacy. Legacy required a BIS plan in order to have all BB-services, including BBM. BB10 no longer requires BIS and can work with a generic data plan. On some carriers, having a BIS plan attached to a BB10 device actually prevents some functions from working...on others, BIS is not a problem to have in place.

Further, I have a suspicion that many carriers are in the process of reconfiguring their networks to work with both BB10 as well as prior devices. And in that process, they may perhaps be causing problems for their users. We've seen reports here from all over the world of both BB10 and prior device owners having their services start, stop, start again, stop again. I even recall one report from one user with a BB10 device being told to keep BIS on his account until they (his carrier) finish their network reconfiguration, at which point he will have to drop BIS.

But, only the carrier can say for sure. If you have BIS attached to this BB, you might consider having them drop BIS and see if things work. But no one here can tell you 100% if that will work or not...for no one here controls your carriers network...only they do.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

(Edit, in addition to Sdgardne's infomation):

You said that earlier even BBM would work when connected to WiFi only.

Now, currently, will BBM work if you are connected to WiFi only?

• If you can connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot and try to send and receive messages through BBM.
  • If BBM works over WiFi, then issue is a provisioning issue that will need to be resolved by your the network service provider (your carrier). Somehow, your SIM or your data plan on connected to your account is not provisioned correctly.
  • If  you are unable to send BBM messages through Wi-Fi, then you will need to escalate the issue up to BlackBerry technical support through your carrier (ask your issue to be "escalatated to RIM/BlackBerry tech support)  and you should be given an incident number and a phone number.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

JSanders, I'll try to be complete on my post but at this point, I forget many things that I have doing... You're right on #2: I can't connect on ANY ways... BBM doesn't work with WiFi too. There is some kind of dedicated configuration for BBM? I have the default APN of my carrier, may I need to change something in there when the carrier makes all the network upgrades to this new devices. Maybe not.

I'm not sure about the RIM support through my carrier, but I will try it. May can I contact RIM/BB directly?

Thanks a lot for your help!

New Contributor

Hi Sdgardne, thanks for your complete answer. But I forget to say that the BBM doesn't work with WiFi network enabled too... I think it's importante because change the focus of my problem.
Would be good to make a new wipe and install the new software downloaded from the BB website? What do you think? I'm ready to do everything possible.
I missed another thing... BB Protect doesn't work too, mobile or wifi network. Would be the same origin issue?
I think I have problems with all those BB direct apps.

Thanks again!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I think you need to do as JSanders advised...the third bullet item in what he provided seems to apply directly to your situation, does it not?

There is no method for you to contact BlackBerry directly...rather, you need to go through your mobile service provider and have them escalate you to BlackBerry for support on this matter.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

LU9ESD wrote:

Now, back in Argentina after my holidays, I pulled out my SIM from a 9800, cutted and put inside the Z10.

I have contacted the company many times but they says that the BIS are working like always, any changes. I register the Z10 IMEI with the company.

Two things, related to what I have noted in red above.

• Get a new microSIM from Movistar. Your old SIM was provisioned to the old BIS BlackBerry Internet Service plan.
  • Secondly, confirm with your Movistar that you have full data plan, not BlackBerry, not a lite or limited plan or social media plan.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

OK for a new microSIM card, I will do.
About my plan is a FULL UNLIMITED BLACKBERRY PLAN. But still BIS. May I need to drop BB and get just FULL DATA PLAN?

Thanks!

LU9ESD wrote:

About my plan is a FULL UNLIMITED BLACKBERRY PLAN. But still BIS. May I need to drop BB and get just FULL DATA PLAN?

Thanks!

Yes. That should do what you need. BIS is no longer needed.

If Movistar has not released the Z10, it may take some convincing them of this, but that's the way it works.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I'm mobile now... browser works.. but there isn't BB logo on the bar between 3G and the signal bars (not 4G yet here)... still investigate..
Thanks