Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: 2013 BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Mobily KSA

BIS icon not appearing when connected to 3G

Hi, I have BIS enabled in my Z10. When i am on WIFI (home / Office), i can see the BIS icon near to signal status. But when i use the 3G (H) especially when i am outside on road, the BIS icon is missing. But i am able to browse internet and use BM etc. I checked with my provider and corss verified about the BB Service and it is active. But then why the icon is missing on 3G whereas it is visible on WIFI? Is it normal? anyone have this issue? Please reply.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BIS icon not appearing when connected to 3G

Hello,

With BB10, it's actually not necessary to have BIS anymore. The "dots" icon just means that you are properly routing BB-specific traffic (e.g., BBM) via whatever pathway you are presently using (e.g., WiFi versus carrier data network). But BIS itself is no longer required.

So, from what you describe, I'd actually recommend removing the BIS account from your Z10...there are many reports that having a BIS account active on a Z10 can actually impede the proper flow of traffic. I do not know if that is the case with your specific carrier, but it has been reported by some that removing BIS has allowed their functionality where having BIS was preventing it.

Your carrier should be able to tell you this for certain...after all, it's their network through which you need to route traffic, and with BIS in place, that seems to be prevented (based on your description).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply, so, What you really meant by removing BIS? Is it like disable my current Blackberry service from the provider and use only internet package? 

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: STC

Hi Mohammed, i tried both Mobily and STC at the same time for STC they did not allow me to do the BIS and they offered me a different plan same plan they offer for IP5. as for my mobily sim i activated a 1 week test of BIS and i have so much problem like it's not giving me blackberry services. so i stayed with STC service that i'm testing for 1 month. my next test will be using Zain serivces. (all are pre-paid sim though)
Contributor

I think KSA providers are not fully ready for Z10? It seems so. I am also not getting much help from Mobily. Called them many times and they refreshes my account. But the issue exists.

Contributor

Yes might be they are not also useful in resolving the issues. though i found a temporary fix for my problem while reading the forums... what i do is that everytime i go out of range from my wifi i would turn the flight mode and turn it off again. this helps the phone to re-start the radio and then automatically switch to 3G (as my wifi is out of range) and restores my BB services.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

mohammedrenish wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply, so, What you really meant by removing BIS? Is it like disable my current Blackberry service from the provider and use only internet package? 

Yes, exactly. BB10 devices no longer require the same BB-specific data plan as was required for pre-BB10 devices; BB10 devices are intended to function just fine on generic data plans for all services, just like all other SmartPhones now. And, as I said, it has been reported that, on some carriers, having that BB-specific plan in place actually prevented proper function. But, again, I cannot tell you for your carrier specifically, but the symptoms you describe fit this situation.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

mohammedrenish wrote:

I think KSA providers are not fully ready for Z10? It seems so. I am also not getting much help from Mobily. Called them many times and they refreshes my account. But the issue exists.

Many carriers are not, but if they do have generic data plans, they should work just fine. Here in the USA, the carriers also are not yet fully ready for the Z10, yet we can run them just fine with generic data plans from the carriers. So far, the only difference we are seeing is that we do not receive OS updates (yet).

From what you describe, they have not yet removed your BIS plan...if all they did was "refresh" the account and changed nothing, then BIS would still remain. If that is, on your carrier, the impediment, then it remains so.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Contributor

Unfortunately it's very hard to get assistance from service providers where we're from. Hope all goes well after some time. As I'm enjoying the experience with my phone its just that a work around needs to be all the time.