Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z 10
My Carrier: Airtel

BIS services on Z10

Hi

Currently i am using BB 8520 curve and using Airtel BIS services. I want to know whether these BIS will work on my new Z10 and if not then what is the option.

Also please tell me if i use normal gprs what is security for mails and other data. Is the mail service will be the same as in the case of BIS like push mail from blackberry server.

Please help

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BIS services on Z10

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

BIS is no longer required for email functionality, though there is some debate as to if BBM requires BIS or not (I think not, and that BIS is entirely eliminated, but the carrier must still provision things correctly for BBM to function). BlackBerry has implemented ActiveSync for email, and it no longer uses BIS as the interface between the email server and the device. The device no directly interacts with the email server via ActiveSync. I do not know what security exists...I believe that if you have BES, higher security may well be usable (likely server set, and requiring BES10).

In some cases, it has actually been reported that leaving BIS attached to an account when shifting to a BB10 device actually prevents many functions...requiring the carrier to remove BIS from the account, which allows the BB to then function correctly. I do not know if this is the case with your specific carrier or not.

In general, all that is required is a generic data plan...but you must ask your carrier for anything specific.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................