Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogefs

Re: BLACKBERRY BALANCE Where is it?

Does anyone know where you can get hosting for BES? I have my own Custom Home Business and Balance would work great and we have our own Domain I just need hosting for myself.

Forums Advisor III
My Carrier: Rogers

All of the information for BES10 is here, but you will need to be running your own Exchange Server in order to run BES10. The good news is that if you click on "Buy Now" they are selling it for $0.00, oops! At least there were when I just purchased mine... Smiley Happy

I think that they licensing has been set to a per device licencing scheme, so it is possible for a small business to afford it if they do in fact have their own Exchange server setup. Smiley Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

I just noticed you can purchase 1 license from BlackBerry. Anyone know what else I will need? Very confusing to know if this license is for a year or good until next OS
Trusted Contributor

You get BES10 for free but you pay $99 per license. I just need one but I also need exchange server up and running. It does not mention that at all.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

[ Edited ]

lesedwards wrote:
Now that seems like false advertising. I was in Best Buy today looking for a case and I was checking out the advertising for the new Z10 and Balance is all over it but it's not really available to the average guy even if he runs his own business and would like to just keep things separate. I guess it is at a big cost. ;-(

I totally agree although it probably wasn't intentional.   During the launch they could have added the 3 word's " For BES users"  to that Work/play feature annoucement.  I was so stunned on another issue but  that was number 2 on my list. 

I am a small Business long time Blackberry Consumer and user like it seems most ppl are here.

If you take that, and the fact they left out the Desktop Outlook Sync and focused on getting the Angry BIrds game it appears they over looked the whole segment of us small Business users.    They seem to associate "Business" with Exchange servers and the other group of users use the phone to play.

Here are some stats that they obviously never considered:

In 2005, 41 per cent of employed Canadians worked for businesses with fewer than 20 employees.

(Source: Industry Canada calculations using data from Statistics Canada)

How many Canadians are self-employed?

In 2010, 2.7 million Canadians were self-employed

How active are small business owners online?

In 2007, the year for which the latest statistics from the Canadian government are available, 85 per cent of small businesses had internet access. 99 per cent of large businesses had internet access.

only 36 per cent of small businesses had their own websites ( you need this to use an Exchange server to sync your MS Outlook Organizer which is different then Outlook.com) (compared to 91 per cent of large businesses)

How much do small businesses contribute to Canada’s GDP?

In 2005, small businesses accounted for 42 per cent of the country’s private sector GDP.

(Source: Industry Canada calculations using data from Statistics Canada)

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Trusted Contributor

I am very anxious to get Balance up and going. Probably one of the major apps on the new phone. I wish someone could just point me in the right direction. First I was on Blackberry website where you can get BES 10 for free but you have to buy a license. Then I spoke to Rogers and they tell me I would also need Microsoft Exchange Server running and told me to contact Network Solutions which is where my domain is hosted
I just sat on phone for over an hour and finally got pissed and hung up. Can anyone help.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

[ Edited ]

lesedwards wrote:
I am very anxious to get Balance up and going. Probably one of the major apps on the new phone. I wish someone could just point me in the right direction. First I was on Blackberry website where you can get BES 10 for free but you have to buy a license. Then I spoke to Rogers and they tell me I would also need Microsoft Exchange Server running and told me to contact Network Solutions which is where my domain is hosted
I just sat on phone for over an hour and finally got pissed and hung up. Can anyone help.

They are correct.  You will also need to own a website to use an exchange server host.   I was adding that to my post above.   It is not worth the expense etc. for most individuals. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Trusted Contributor

Cannot I put an add on to my email service with Network Solutions?
Trusted Contributor

Yes you can if you own your email address ( website).   The problem that is that all emails for a given website will have to be directed to a particular Exchange Service provider.

In my case I work for a few different Companies and have multiple email addresses that they provided..   I cannot use an exchange server on my own for those email addresses as all the email address for that Company would have to be directed to the new Host that I want to use.

Forums Advisor III
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Is Network Solutions hosting your email on an Exchange server, or a *NIX based server? Smiley Happy If it is an exchange server you could always ask if they would be willing to host a BES10 on it for you, but I'm sure there would be either some resistance (especially if you are hosted on a shared server), or a substantial additonal cost in addition to the licensing you would need.

It is actually possible to run your own Exchange Server, over a dynamic IP, but it's a huge PITA and expensive. You would need a valid SSL certificate to make it secure as well.

I'm currently playing around with making one work here as a test to see just how complex it is. Smiley Happy

So far it is quite a task, expecially over a dynamic IP.

You would need:

A server running MS Exchange, dynamic IP address redirection including a DNS entry to redirect your domainname to that redirected address & a SSL certificate (if you want your email to be transmitted securely.) In addition if you are on a dynamic IP you would need some software like POPcon) so that you don't have to worry about your server being unreachable while your IP address propogates throughout the internet.

On top of that you would then need to install BES10 and administer that yourself. Smiley Happy

I got about 9/10 way through all of that myself, but I have been enjoying the reconcilliation that I am having with my IMAP accounts right now so I've left it for a while. I'll probalby pick that project back up next week, and the only reason that I am going to complete that project is so that I can synchronize my calendar and contacts. Smiley Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy