Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: verizon

Battery Life

I just upgraded from a 9930 and I could talk and work all day -

the Z10 -- maybe 3-4hrs - this isn't going to work - any ideas ?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Battery Life

3-4 hours is not typical on a Z10.

First of all, make sure you're running the most recent version of OS.  To do this, while on your homescreen swipe down from the top and select Settings>Software Updates.

It also wouldn't hurt to try a battery pull.  Remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it.

Try those two suggestions and post back with your results.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: verizon

OK - My BB 10 Os is 10.0.9.422 and it sayes latest software - pulled the battery this morning as a matter of fact - could it be my battery ?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

That's the latest on Verizon. For now.

Some users are finding that letting the device drain to about 10%, and then pulling the battery and recharging completely to 100% will recalibrate the battery life.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Others have also had success with a device wipe and OS reinstall, in fact I just tried this yesterday and I am at about 30% remaining and have been unplugged from the charger for 13 hours so far. I was getting about 10hr runtimes before the wipe ane reload. I believe it was Arsen that first suggested this as a possible solution.

Another thing to note is that if you just got the phone you may be 'playing' with it more than usual. It is after all a brand new phone and I know that when mine was brand new.. I was burning through the battery, but the screen was on about 99.9% of the day because I was busy playing around with finding every feature I could, looking for and downloading apps on appworld, setting up email accounts, playing with signatures, etc. Just sayin. Smiley Very Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

I am in the midst of some very controlled tests (trying to keep usage as close to the same as possible on each day...fortunately, my "life circumstances" allow me to do this) concerning battery life, but first using only those "free" tools and information available (I'll buy a monitoring app after this phase of my testing). So far, the results are

Day   Date   Run Time (hrs)   Radios   Battery at end   Special Circumstances 
1 8-Apr 7.5 Mobile, WiFi, BT 15% Heavy BBM (Groups)
2 9-Apr 10 WiFi, BT 50% Less Heavy BBM
3 10-Apr 10 Mobile, WiFi, BT 75%

Reboot at start (necessary due to error)

~Same BBM level as Day 2

4 11-Apr 10 Mobile, WiFi, BT 55% A bit heavier BBM, more than Days 2/3, less than Day 1

I had only started closely monitoring when the first event happened...but had been noticing (not tracking data though) shorter and shorter battery life each day. Given how vast the difference is in remaining battery at the end of each test set, it will be interesting to see how this proceeds...and no OS reloads have yet been required for this test sequence. Note that the Reboot was a normal (button/key based) full shut down / start up...not a batt-pull. My goal in this test set is to see how long it takes to degrade to the result from Day 1...and then see if the whole set is repeatable (e.g., running for a day with no carrier radio, then seeing if a reboot again returns battery life to a longer duration).

It is further important to note that I'm on a "newer" OS than my carrier (TMobile) has released...my Z10 was obtained at the global launch at the end of January, and operated on ATT for almost 2 months, and I had updated with their release just before shifting to TMO...and TMO has yet to release an OS update to catch up. If anyone else on TMO with the same ability to do as controlled a test as this and is on the release OS from TMO, then that might be an interesting comparative analysis to my data (I have a carrier-radio-file suspicion about this situation, but cannot validate without reloading my OS so as to fall back to TMOs release version)

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................