Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Battery issues anyone?

Has anyone experienced an awfully low battery life?  I seem to have to charge multiple times a day without extensive use... The Torch seemed to last until late evening despite heavy usage...

I dont have any 3rd party apps running (to preserve power), turned off NFC, Location settings and even Wifi to preserve power (only left with LTE and Bluetooth being on) and with a total of 30 min talk and maybe 45 mins of email, I'm down to yellow on the battery.

Any ideas what I may try other than going back to the Torch?

Super Contributor

Re: Battery issues anyone?

Mine seems to last a whole day or two per charge but I'm not using it a whole lot either.

Contributor
My Device: Z10 Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Bell Canada

In one of the other threads it was mentioned that the EBAY App drains the battery because of it constantly updating.

I had the same problem but all I did was turn off the WiFi when not at home. My battery went from less than six hours to almost two days worth.

How often does your phone check your mail servers? You may want to extend that to once an hour or more.

Good Luck!

It's always funny when it's someone else.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: Mobile

LTE can drain battery quite fast. You could try dimming the screen and turning off Bluetooth when not in use. Check that you have the latest OS version as there have been some improvements in the updates. Also the battery can improve after the first few charge cycles.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Start with a battery pull.  With what you describe, it could possibly be something in the software that's causing your rapid battery drain.  A battery pull is always a good place to start when things aren't right with your phone so remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thanks... I do have the latest OS since I checked on that yesterday but I have heard that LTE could consume a lot more. I have the screen dimmed to 25% since thats enough for me. 

Is there a way to abandon LTE and perhaps connect 3G only, or is that automatically selected based on what's available in the area?

New Contributor

I dont have very many apps other than the airlines etc. which are more of an on-demand app.  However, facebook, twitter and linkedin accounts are on and perhaps may be doing a similar thing?  I cannot change corporate from push to pull certainly, but can try that with other emails like gmail/hotmail... can I do this selectively based on the account?  I dont recall seeing something like that when setting up the phone.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: Mobile

Typically you can switch from LTE to 3G by changing it in Settings > Network Connection > Mobile Network. However not all carries allow you to choose which network mode you use., so the option might not be there. Worth a try though.

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: O2

The linkedIn app seems to be a battery drain. I spent about 20 minutes in airplane mode cleaning up and linking contacts and it took about a third of the battery per the indicator.

Forums Advisor III
My Carrier: Rogers

marlostarr wrote:

Has anyone experienced an awfully low battery life?  I seem to have to charge multiple times a day without extensive use... The Torch seemed to last until late evening despite heavy usage...

I dont have any 3rd party apps running (to preserve power), turned off NFC, Location settings and even Wifi to preserve power (only left with LTE and Bluetooth being on) and with a total of 30 min talk and maybe 45 mins of email, I'm down to yellow on the battery.

Any ideas what I may try other than going back to the Torch?

If you are with AT&T may I inquire as to how long you have had the phone?

If it is brand new then there are a few issues that are probably occurring.

1) Phone is compiling and liking your Contacts and updating other parts of the software "behind the scenes", so to speak.

2) Your battery probably needs to go through a few full to zero cycles to gain its full capacity.

3) Some apps can have "push" services turned on, The Wall Street Journal does for sure default to this. So if you are getting notification splats on any apps then be sure to check that unless you want it push is turned off.

4) You have a brand new phone!! You aren't playing with it excessively? I know I did for like 2 weeks...! Smiley Happy That'll hamper the battery life. Smiley Wink

If you are still having issues in a few days, I suggest trying a device wipe and set the phone up again, that seems to have worked well for those that had the issue of shorter battery lifes.

Otherwise I would be calling in to the Carrier as it would maybe be a hardware question. Smiley Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy