Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z30 - Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Battery life

10.0.10.261 is the version I am using,  My phone has been working great.  No keyboard issues, no power issues.  I can usually get the expected normal run time from my battery.  I am a heavy user, so I would say 7 hours on one charge great, then it only takes about 45-50 minutes to jump it back to full charge.

I dont know if it was the software of the formatting the SD card.  I do know the software fixed my keyboard issues I was having, with it going crazy on its own,,

BB Z30 = Best phone on the market!

Loving the battery life
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

Interesting. I have the factory 10.0.9.348. Which works well on the battery front.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Well, my battery life was less than a full day when I first bought the phone 2 weeks ago and it keeps getting better each day and tonight after being on for 12 hours, I have what looks like 75% remaining so it looks like the longer you use the phone and charger it, the better the life you will get out of a full charge.

I am very pleased with this Z10 so be patient and your battery life will likely improve.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

With a new chargeable battery, as it is power and charging is cycled its usability span between chargings will improve over time. There will be a time when it will reach full peak. The peak performance will plataue. Then it will slowely start to decay over many more charge cycles.  After the rated number of charges or its expected life cycle has been reached the battery perfmance will start to decay more rapidly. The decay rate will be fairly fast.

I found most chargeable batteries using normal charge should be able to work for about 350 to 400 charge cycles. In the case of a mobile phones the battery should maintain peak performance for about 2 to 3 years. There are many factors that will determine the actual battery life span.

Avoid using any optional fast charging on any chargeable battery.  This causes the battery to be warmer during charging. Heat causes greater stress for its chemical reaction.

Jerry G.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: TELUS

Interesting post.  THank you

Blackberry told me yesterday that the recommended ideal charger is the Blackberry 1.8A fast charger - they said it was better than the 750ma that comes with the unit???

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Yes and you can get then for less than $10 on amazon right now. That's what I use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 9320
My Carrier: AT&T

You'd better contact the BlackBerry service asap.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Fast charging will certainly be better for speed charging. But, the faster you charge the battery the more internal stress with its chemical reaction. The end result is a quicker charge to get your phone going. The lifespan of the battery can be reduced with fast charging. This also puts some added stress on the internal battery control circuitry in the device.

As for battery replacement, I found with high daily activity and the requirement of very frequent charging the battery life is reduced. Most chargeable batteries have a life cycle of about 350 to 400 charges before they start to degrade.

A replacement battery is not an "end of the world price" to replace. I have seen new original batteries selling for between $35 to $45  without the optional charger unit for the Blackberry phones. I bought two spares with their own optional USB chargers included from Crackberry.com.   I use these as booster batteries to have longer useage periods when I use the phone as a WiFi hot spot for the Playbook. I also use one of them to keep the Playbook running longer.

Jerry G.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Registered just to share my findings with everyone out there who are looking for the battery short life solution. Short history of my problem. My first Z10 battery lasted only 3 hours without the phone being used at all and the phone was hot all the time. None of the recommendations found on all of the forums helped as well as didn’t help carrier tech support suggestions. I have replaced the phone and the second one was better, however the battery wouldn't last for more than 6 hours. When in a pocket or in the holster the phone was getting hot and was draining battery faster when out of holster. Did talk to the carrier and had the phone replaced again. Same problem occurred - 6 hours max battery life without the phone being used at all. When my college told me that his Z10 easily runs for 20 hours I couldn't believe how unlucky I was. I've compared the two phones (his and mine) and found that the only difference is that he was with TELUS and I'm with Rogers. During the device initiation my phone showed a small 6MB update available. As I found on the forums this is a carrier specific update. My last shot was to reinstall the OS and skip the carrier specific update. I did it and my battery life is now close to 12 hours with Wi-Fi always on, LTE always on, Bluetooth always on, MP3 playing 2-3 hours, browsing 1 hour, phone calls 2-3 an hour, ~40 emails/BBMs/texts a day and some of the email accounts being ActiveSync. This is a huge improvement. When I didn't use the phone for 3 hours the battery level dropped 10%. So in theory (which I haven't tested yet) it should easily last for 30+ hours when not used. So my solution was simple - skip carrier specific update while initializing the device. BTW, some other small bugs that I've experienced are also gone (e.g. after using headphone the phone would still think that headphones are connected while in fact being disconnected). My version is Z10STL100-3/10.0.9.2372. Hope this would help resolving battery issues for some “unlucky” ones like me. Now I'm happy with my Z10.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

2nd z10 and was working great until this morning... went to bed at 1am with 95% charge and EVERYTHING closed and in the sleep mode... woke up at 8am with the dead battery syndrome again... what a piece of **bleep** this thing is turning out to be... my iPhone had 50% charge at 1am and had 38% at 8am...
BlackBerry better get off their button and get this OS issue resolved before they pass everyone off