Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Re: Battery life

FYI folks,

I have spoken with a number of retail outlets in the London (uk) area, as well as to Vodafone UK CS.

The retail folks say the Z10 is nothing but trouble, they have been given very little training on it and would rather it went away.

Vodafone CS report a "high percentage" of returns, but did not elaborate.

Until the 9900, I thought BB walked on water. I used and still use the 9000 and I love it. The 9900 is ok, but has a touch screen that is too small to be practical for many folks and that cannot be disabled Smiley Sad

Looking at all the posts reporting poor battery performance is interesting.

Some posts report heat generation, others talk about the battery seemingly charging to 100% very quickly.

I design military radar systems, many of which use lithium polymer batteries.

Given the OS version as a constant and presuming that it is very unlikely that hardware is varying in its behaviour, from unit to unit, all fingers point to bad bateries. High internal resistance can cause both poor capacity and self heating under load.

If any of you folks out there have a poorly performing Z10 in the battery dept, and you know someone who has a Z10 and is not having any battery issues, then swap batteries with this person and see if the problem follows the battery. If so then there is at least one answer. If not, then BB really does have a serious problem.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

If you call directly there is a fee for support. If you calm your carrier and request to be escalated to BB Support there is no charge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Copes, do you have by chance Wi-Fi on and your Z10 drive mapped to your PC? I'm testing Blackberry Link theory here. Looks like when the drives are mapped to PC via Wi-Fi the battery drains fast.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ John_Clark

Very good advice, but why should any user have to bother ??

If you buy something, it should, in the main, work properly.

If it does not, return it and go buy something that does.

Do not waste your time assisting the BB dev dept. They are paid to do this job. You are not.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Ok, so using that logic I guess if your new car has a problem you should return it and go get another? That's ludicrous. Many problems can be solved. If they can't be solved then returning the device is a valid option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The problem is that the Z10 has failed many of us on the test drive... we didn't get a chance to try before we buy like you do with a car :/
Contributor

@ John_Clark.

What???

I buy a car, an item upon which I rely, and the battery goes flat after 100 miles.

I take it to the dealer who replaces the battery.

The same thing happens again the next day.

I go back to the delar and he says that maybe I need a new car!

I don't think so.

Most folks don't want to get involed " solving problems". They don't want any problems in the first place.

That includes new phones as well as new cars.

If I buy it, I expect it to do what it says on the tin. If not, I take it back. I do not have time to screw about with flakey products. Life is too short!!

Guru II

I agree. But calling support is the way to resolve issues. If they can't resolve the issues, I'm with you. Take it back. Telling people NOT to call and to just return it is bad advice.

Contributor

@ John_Clark

This is a circular argument!

I call CS, tell them the situation, and we join the "have a new battery" bit of my earlier post!

BBs beta testing should have sorted this out. It's not for the user to be a tester. He/she has other things to do.

I'm not anti BB. I adore my 9000 and I have two boxed new ones from Ebay as reserves. I'm not leaving BB but I would like an up to date phone Smiley Happy

Guru II

To not even attempt to solve an issue is just bad advice. If you call support and they can't resolve it. Take it back. We agree.

To return it without any attempt to see if something else is causing the issue is poor advice. Many are getting good battery life so it's obviously not a defect in all devices. If you're one who keeps having the issue despite attempts from support to fix it then, by all means, take it back.