Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Battery life

Mine seems to be getting worse.  After a full charge and very liuttle usage (No video, or music, just a few replies to email BBM etc) it actually ran out of juice and shut down by 3:00 today.  I checked all my apps and everything seems to be off.  I noticed it quite warm to the touch today which was very unusual. Something is running somewhere for sure.  When I first got it (on launch day in Canada) it was much better.  Hopefully the culprit will be found soon.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

I just want to confirm that without a shadow of a doubt, the issue had something to do with my work email. I know next to nothing about what sort of email servers the company we outsource our IT uses. All I know is I connected to the servers through IMAC. Since disabling the internet, my battery has been exceptional. Its acted how I would expect a battery to act. I've drained about 29% in 5 hours. 

I'm so happy to have solved this, however I look forward to updates so that I can connect my phone to my work email. That is a serious issue. The IT guy I deal with said he thinks there is another way I can try and set up my email, so I'll give that a go and see if it works.

Anyway, I hope my trials and tribulations will be helpful to someone else, so they do not have to spend a week trying to solve the issue! Cheers all, thanks so much for the help through all this. I will continue to provide any information that I discover.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

[ Edited ]

Hey copes. Try in advanced settings of your work account turning off 'push' like this:

> settings > accounts > your email account > advanced (at bottom) > push: off, sync interval:15 minutes > SAVE (top right)

...and let us know how you get on!  

Come back and like me if your data transfer decreases and your battery life increases 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

You could also set it to a less frequent search interval or MANUAL - which will only check your emails when you drag down in the hub, i believe.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
New Contributor

Just want to provide an update the battery life now that I have turned off my work email. It's been over 16 hours of moderate to heavy use all day and my battery is at 47% still. Like Copes said, it is behaving like a battery should on a phone.
Regular Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Okay so my new battery life is about the same as the original on my 2nd Z10 so it's no worse and no better ... not on an exchange server either ... definitely the OS system somewhere.

Regular Contributor

crazy_kanuck:

Keep in mind that I wasn't on an exchange server either. Yet for me, deleting the email account anyway helped. If you have any email accounts connected that aren't hotmail / gmail, give them a try and let me know.

Zaba: If I readd the office email I will try that.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, Z10, PlayBook, PRIV
My Carrier: 3

Just an update from my previous message to say I gave my Z10 a charge overnight on Monday night, now it's Weds afternoon and Battery Watch still shows 38% battery life. Expecting this will last until tomorrow morning, in which case my battery has lasted 2.5 days, possibly not on a full charge when I tried to restart my phone to get my new micro SIM to work (had to do a battery pull during my first full charge)

h33
Contributor
My Device: Zed 10

Turned the Z10 off last night with 70% power.

(Couldn't) Turn it on with 7% this morning.

Full charge to 100% in <3 hours

What happened overnight?

IMG_00000017.png

Contributor

Decided to give a quick update on my experience.

After initial excitement with the improved battery life after OS reload the battery life went back from 12-13 hours to 7-8 hours. So OS reload is not a solution to get 20+ hours of battery life.

I have 5 IMAP accounts (none Active Sync of MS Exchange).

Reading other comments I did the following tests:

1. Turned on Airplane Mode (i.e. turned off all radios). The battery life became incredible – 1% down every  2.5-3 hours. In theory this would give about 12.5 standby days specified by Blackberry.
  2. Turned on only Mobile Network with Data Services set to off and all the other radios still off keeping LTE (the indicator shows “lte” as no data on). The battery decreased (as expected) to about 3% in 2 hours giving (again theoretically) about 2.5 days of work. Not the best Blackberry experience, but acceptable.
  3. Turned on Wi-Fi in addition to Mobile Network (Data Services are still off). The battery life went immediately down to 7-8 hours consuming 10-15% of battery power every hour.
  4. Set less frequent update interval for each account. No change in battery life – still drained 10-15% per hour.
  5. Tuned off “Use Push if available” for all of the accounts. No change in battery life – still drained 10-15% per hour.
  6. Changed update frequency for every account to Manual.  No change in battery life – still drained 10-15% per hour.
  7. Deleted all accounts. The battery is back to 3% in 2 hours with Wi-Fi on and Data Services still off, giving again about 2.5 days of work (calculated, not tested).
  8. Turned on Data Services (the indicator shows “LTE” – LTE Mobile Network and Data Services are both on) while Wi-Fi is still on. The battery is still at about 3% rate in 2 hours.
  9. Recreated one of the accounts using POP not IMAP with 15 min update interval. No drop in battery level for the last 45 minutes (that’s when I have added the new account). I assume that it would keep somewhat same rate of about 3% per 2 hours with one POP account if no emails received and would reduce gradually with the number of emails growing.

Next steps. I’m going to recreate all of my 5 accounts using POP instead of IMAP (apparently that’s what I’d been using on my BB9900 before switching to Z10) and see how it goes. I will share the results most likely tomorrow, so I have better stats.