Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: 4039730810

Battery sucks rocks

I have had my Z10 since launch day, and after using it for a little bit, I like the interface and experience, but the battery life makes the phone completely unuseable for a day to day phone. I unplug it at 7:30 am, and it is dead by 2:00 pm with mild use (20 emails no web surfing). I bought a replacement / spare battery, and its the same thing. How the heck can you make a splash with a phone that has a worse battery life than anything on the marketplace. I turn off bluetooth and wifi when I am not using them (usually using wifi at both home and office) but short of leaving it on airplane mode, I can't make it through the day.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Battery sucks rocks

Are you in a poor LTE coverage area? If so you might want to change your network settings from LTE to 4G HSPA+.

Do you have NFC enabled?

Do you leave apps running in the background?

Is your brightness set to 100%?

What's your screen lock timeout set to?

My battery was draining pretty quickly the first few days I had the phone but I chalked it up to all the syncing / playing. It's actually been pretty good the last week or so, no worse than my iPhone was.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Battery sucks rocks

I suggest you check out the Battery Life thread a few posts down (its about 16 pages now). I have spent all day with RIM Tech support dealing with the same issue. This is what I posted there:

Alright, so, I just spent about two hours between Telus and Berry Support.

All four folks I dealt with were exceptionally helpful. The answer I was given at BB Support, is that the Battery drain is aKNOWN ISSUE that has been escalated to their development team. The guy I was talking to gave me the impression that the Battery Drain is caused by the installation of past updates. I'm not very technically intelligent so I don't want to relay false information, but based on the explanation it sounds like it could be related to the ORDER of updates, or how updates are installed? I referenced my friend who runs the same version as I do and it is running fine, and it was suggested that since he got his phone a week before I did he may have had an update inbetween fresh-out-of-the-box and now that I never had, or could have had an earlier version initially installed on his phone, etc. He said that it could have to do with the addition of the various accounts to BB Hub (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) and that could also be playing a role. 

What I was told is that it is not a hardware issue, and that a Software Update will be released to solve the problem. I was essentially told to hang-tight. I asked for confirmation that the NEXT software update would contain the fix, but he was unsure. I asked as to when the update was to come, and he was also unsure. He did say that becuase it is a known issue he expects that it will be the next update to be released, but he didn't want to promise me that because he isn't a developer himself. Fair enough.

He also said that the heat I am experiencing on the back is because the Battery is running overtime because of this issue, and that once the issue has been resolved I shouldn't feel that heat.

Anyway, at this point I simply have to hope that the fix is coming soon and that it is indeed my problem. If this is the issue, it would make sense that BB_Z10's reinstallation of the OS and changing of installing updates worked for him. I did send him my logs, and he did analyze them, and that was what he told me, so I can only assume it is correct. Hopefully this information can be used on these forums in the future, and hopefully the next updates will help.