Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

BlackBerry Radio Frequency

Every BlackBerry I've had has come with a warning about the potential of exceeding radion frequency exposure standards as follows:

When you wear the BlackBerry device close to your body, use a RIM approved

holster with an integrated belt clip, or maintain a distance of 0.59 in. (15 mm)

between your BlackBerry device and your body while the BlackBerry device is

transmitting. Use of body-worn accessories, other than RIM approved holsters

with an integrated belt clip, might cause your BlackBerry device to exceed radio

frequency exposure standards if the accessories are worn on your body while

the BlackBerry device is transmitting. 

I decided to purchase a BlackBerry brand Transform Shell case for my new Z10. I figured since it's BlackBerry brand and BlackBerry approved it would provide the protection noted as important above. However, from reading the details above it seems the protection is on provided via a belt clip on holster only. Seems ludicrous that BlackBerry would expressly warn customers of the danger then provide branded accessories that do not offer protection. I'm hoping I'm wrong and the safety is built into all BlackBerry brand cases including the Z10 Transform Shell. Any ideas?

Developer
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

Re: BlackBerry Radio Frequency

The transform shell is only half a case it won't be able to block off SAR coming from the unblocked area. The holster has the whole phone cover up maybe thats the difference.
If your really worry about the SAR try using headset it will help reduce the SAR to the head alot more.
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Teaboy1748, I thnk the difference is there's a magnet in the actual clip to offset it. I rarely have the phone to my head but wanted the comfort of the protected case. Guess is safety or cool case. Therein lies the decision!

Developer
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

I heard of the SAR radiation blocker. but not sure if those have proven to work or not.
New Contributor

Haven't heard of that. Thanks! I'll check into it.