Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

My Device: 9810 Torch and Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Blackberry ID and Changing Sim cards

[ Edited ]

I have a BB 9810 Torch which I use for my business which uses a Vodafone SIM with my business mobile number.

I have also recently purchased a BB Z10 and have been trialing it using a temporary SIM card on a pay as you go data tarrif and temporary phone number (with MS Active Sync to sync email, contacts & calendar with MS Outlook).

I have now decided to swap out my BB Torch and make the Z10 my main business phone.

I have spent around 10 hours over the last 3 days transferring all my data and configuring the settings on the BB Z10 with all my email addresses, calendars & data files etc.

I now just need to swap the telephone number from my BB Torch to my BB Z10. I have a second micro sim and Vodafone are ready to transfer my business mobile number to the new micro sim so I can put it into the BB Z10.

However, I have just been told that there may be a problem with some form of link between the BB ID I use on the Z10 and the temporary SIm card I have been using - and that if I change SIM card I may no longer be able to access all the data I have loaded onto the device.

Please can you confirm if changing SIM cards on the BB Z10 causes an issue with the Blackberry ID or if there are no problems changing SIM ? (As mentioned my ISP is Vodafone UK).

Many thanks.... gp20018   

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry ID and Changing Sim cards

Your BlackBerry ID is attached to your phone's PIN, not the SIM.  If you hold a phone with a certain SIM in it and you swap in another SIM, that might affect some elements associated with your carrier but it shouldn't touch anything BlackBerry-related.

Once you put your SIM in your Z10 (which is not the phone currently associated with your BB ID) and you sign in to your BB ID on the Z, you'll be notified that it's a new PIN and you'll be asked if you want to move your BB ID to that phone.  A simple 'yes' and you're on your way.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Device: 9810 Torch and Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Blackberry ID and Changing Sim cards

Thanks Bill

That's a relief  and really helpful.

Will follow your instructions - hopefully you won't hear from me on this topic again 

BR ... GP20018