Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Blackberry Z10 (Verizon) randomly deletes contacts & conversations when # is saved

I've had this happen to me multiple times at this point and it is getting beyond frustrating.  Verizon has offered no support except to take my phone away for a few days and "fix" it, but that sure as heck ain't happening with a phone I paid $200 for 2 weeks ago.

When I transferred all of my contacts to my phone at the point of purchase, everyone appeared after a great deal of finagling.  I even had text message conversations with several of them.  Multiple times I've gone back to message them again and the phone number has completely disappeared from my phone, looking in every contact location I can find and even trying to just type the old saved name in and send it.When I re-enter the number... bam... the old conversation reappears and I have to save the contact info all over again or assign it to an existing one, like whatever was important from facebook (would love to turn that off if I could figure out how).

Last night, the phone randomly deleted a few conversations mid-chat and sent the text I was in the middle of writing to a completely different contact (NOT GOOD WHEN YOU'RE DEALING WITH COMPETING REALTORS)!  Now, I just went to save a new number I was texted from and it deleted the conversation again.

WTF blackbbery?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Blackberry Z10 (Verizon) randomly deletes contacts & conversations when # is saved

Hey briansk,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with SMS on your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone.

Is this happening with random contacts or all?

Do the contacts have non-standard numbers entered in any one of the Phone Number fields?

This can include numbers where:

•The country code is listed without + or 00 correctly defined. 

•Non-standard alphanumeric characters precede the phone number.

Also to better assist you can you please provide your full software version, this can be found in Settings> About.

Thank you.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Re: Blackberry Z10 (Verizon) randomly deletes contacts & conversations when # is saved

HB -

Thanks for the reply.  My model is the z10, verizon, white.  The model number is STL100-4.  The software release is 10.0.9.422.

This is happening with completely random contacts.  For instance, when I bought the phone, I had conversations with my several relatives that have been saved on my phone since I first bought a cell phone... however long ago.  They've always just been transferred from phone to phone.  I went to text them again earlier this week and their contacts were completely gone... whether I typed their number or name, nothing would come up... but then one I hit send after re-entering their numbers it populated the old conversation & name field, yet if I went in to contacts, there was no contact with that name.

It was relatively the same issue with when I would save numbers of someone who I had been texting with an unsaved number.  In the middle of the conversation I'd go to add the contact directly from the chat and once I clicked "save" the conversation was completely gone.

I've also noticed that when I am in group chats, whenever someone responds, it refreshes old conversations with that individual as unread.

I think the first problem may some how be related to the fact that in "Accounts" my phone shows that Facebook is populating "people I'm friends with" and Twitter is populating "people I follow" into my contacts, despite me clicking not to sync any of this information when I set the accounts up.  Clearly this is a bug and a really freakin annoying one since I don't want my 1000 facebook friends in my contact list.  Despite going to settings in "contacts" and clicking to only show sim card contacts, every time I re-open contacts it is back to normal. 

There are A LOT of contact related bugs with this phone and it is really frustrating.  I'm serious considering selling it at this point.  I got the z10 for its utility and business uses.  I can't use it for either if it is constantly screwing up the people I'm trying to talk to...

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Hey Briansk,

Do to the complexity of this issue and to better diagnosis what is causing this, we would suggest contacting your wireless service provider and request they contact BlackBerry Technical Support on your behalf for further investigation into this and to gather logs to find the root cause.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

My blackberry is doing this as well and as you say, it is beyond exasperating.  I have re-entered contact information for different people multiple times now and it happens with no clear triggering event.  Based on most of what the contacts I have had deleted have in common, I *think* there may be an issue with how it is linking contact information from facebook, linkedin and other social media applications that also populate the contact list but I cannot be certain since there have been a few that have no association with those applications.  Verizon support for troubleshooting the issue is poor at best.   If there is any update on cause / resolution would be much appreciated.