Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 STL100-2
My Carrier: Vodafone AU
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Z10 verification and update

I have a Z10 (STL100-2) and I bought it outright and unbranded. I am now using Vodafone AU and I haven't been able to find an update for mine.

My OS is 10.0.10.261. I researched online and found massive articles about it being a leaked for Dev-Alpha devices. Is that OS an official OS for Z10 or is it only for Dev-Alpha? If it's for Dev-Alpha, how can I reload the OS for Z10?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Z10 verification and update

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Just as has always been with BBs, your carrier controls the automated release of the OS to their end users. If the on-device update selector is not providing anything, then your carrier has not released anything newer.

There is a trick, but it is not without risk:

Some reports exist where some folks on some carriers perform this update and their BB ceases to function with their carrier. Some further report that using again the OS Reload function, this time for sure with the SIM inserted, allows the proper supported OS to return to their BB. Others however report no ability to fall back to a functioning OS (I suspect these are users who are on carriers that have no actual support at all within their systems for BB10).

So, proceed at your own risk.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I tried those tricks but it didn't work. I'm practically out of ideas. I've heard some people updated their devices through Telstra AU. Lets say I try that method (borrowing my friend's sim card), would there be any problem once I swap it back to Vodafone AU?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

As all of the articles about the "tricks" state, it may not work for everyone. You may be one of those unlucky few.

As for if there will be any negative result of using a Telstra SIM to force the update to your device, only someone who has done exactly that can say for sure. We have widely varying reports here of folks who use such a method and wind up not being able to function on their own carrier at all. But specifics and patterns to those results so far elude me.

So I continue to say...bypass your carrier at your own risk.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Thing is my phone is an outright and unbranded phone. I'm still curious why Blackberry do not provide updates straight to unbranded phones.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

As has always been, there are no "unbranded" devices. Every device is originally locked to one carrier at the time of manufacture...but can be unlocked for use on any compatible carrier. Sometimes they are sold/distributed already unlocked (like yours, as was mine). So, there is no difference under BB10 than before in this regard.

Further, the carriers have always controlled the release of the OS. Pre-BB10, it involved the VendorID hard coded into the device firmware (requiring the deletion of VENDOR.XML to use a different carriers OS package). With BB10, the control is by virtue of the inserted SIM. What we've seen is folks with identical OS levels, but using the OS that was distributed by a different carrier (by one of the various tricks)...causing their device to not work on their carriers network. Radio file changes and such that are specific to the carrier seem to not alter the overall OS level, yet are not the same from carrier to carrier.

But, still, the carriers have always controlled the release of the OS...that is no different before or with BB10. It's still the same. I've got plenty of theories as to the "why"...but they really are irrelevant...my theories will not change "what is".

Cheers!