Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: z10 STL100-1
My Carrier: Etisalat Egypt
Accepted Solution

Bringing BIS back to z10 possible ?

[ Edited ]

Hey all now I 've searched all over the internet to find any method to get BIS to work again as old devices but unfortunately its  gone !! Smiley Frustrated its really worth disappointing.

my question : Is there any way to bring it back by software update or something ? hope that blackberry find any solution for this

another question : now the Z10 APN default is BlackBerry10.net and the old APN is blackberry.net what is the difference ?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bringing BIS back to z10 possible ?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

poomslike wrote:

Hey all now I 've searched all over the internet to find any method to get BIS to work again as old devices but unfortunately its  gone !! Smiley Frustrated its really worth disappointing.

my question : Is there any way to bring it back by software update or something ? hope that blackberry find any solution for this

Oh I hope not! In my country, the cost of BIS plans is almost double non-BIS plans, and there is no "unlimited BIS data" capability. I realize that it is different in other countries, but for me, NO BIS EVER!!

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

I take a different stand than sdgardne; I'd gladly pay a few bones extra each month to have BIS back again. The data compression alone makes it worth the cost of admission. I could squeak by with a 500MB plan on my old BlackBerry devices. Now I'm lucky if I keep my browsing under 2 GIGS.

Cheers. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Oh ok..but i think they should leave the choice to us whether to use BIS or regular data plan...but now blackberry lost the thing that make it special in my opinion. But i still hoping to see an update or something for users who satisfied with BIS....
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

For the foreseeable future BIS is dead with BB10. Perhaps public outcry will reinstate it someday but for now we'll have to live without it. Smiley Sad

Cheers. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

To add to the comparison...

• My data plan is 5GB of 4G (including LTE, where available) data per month, throttled (slower speeds) thereafter, but still truly "unlimited" (on network...not roaming), for US$30/month.
  • The cheapest BIS plan I could find (when I last shopped for one) was 250MB of on-network data, shut down thereafter, for US$50/month.

Given that, my choice is rather simple -- it is not even close, IMHO, to "a few bones extra each month"...and the service, even at that higher cost, is much less than I have now.

But, it does vary widely in different markets...it is my hope that the carriers will begin to offer more wide-ranging choices that allow users to have the functions they require without costing them ridiculous additional fees (in my market, a 66% premium!). But all should keep in mind that it's the carriers that set the pricing...not BlackBerry. BlackBerry has simply eliminated the requirement, under BB10, that BIS plans be utilized...what the carriers choose to do with that new option is completely up to them.

Cheers!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Its ok i do not mind on what you are saying! Just all what i wanted from blackberry is to release an update for the users who wants and satisfied with BIS....so just give me the choice whether to take regular data plan or BIS!! Really hope to see it soon 

Hall of Famer III

Again, you are asking for BlackBerry to give you BIS...when it's actually the carriers that control all services and pricing to their end users. Hence, your requests would be better directed toward them, I should think. If enough carriers pressure BlackBerry to enable an option of BIS-type services for BB10, then they might actually listen and do so. Just do still keep in mind that pricing will be 100% out of the control of BlackBerry...that is up to the carriers.

If BIS truly is a deal breaking requirement for you, then you should not even be on BB10...you should be on a legacy device, which continues to use BIS.

Visitor
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: U mobile

Hi everyone, I've been using BB for over half decade.  Through History, the BIS plan was so dear as competion got crazy between the operator in my country, then BIS become cheaper and cheaper.  That's giving lots of benefits for me even we could subscribe easily BIS from the prepaid mobile SIM card as cheap as USD 0.20 daily.  The mobile provider even try to package the plan by several options: social network plan (BBM, Chat, FB, etc) and Business plan (BBM, emails), Data plan (browsers), and Full Access plan, with different pricing.

If you said that Operator do not make money totally wrong, coz they even smarter to diversify the products, as we all know blackberry is the best in compressing data to get smallest size without burdening the ISP/operator.  

Therefore I never think to change Z10, keepin my latest version 9320,  till BB has no longer support for BIS, then only I consider to change with other device.

I do hope blackberry should keeping its uniqueness  on the next mobile releases / softwares and will not make a 'copy' trendsetter  with the market.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

there is a 9720 BIS device that is coming soon if thats for you

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V