Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Broken USB on Torch - How to Transfer Contacts to Z10

Anybody know how to get contacts to the Z10 from a Torch 9860 other than to Bluetooth each contact one by one?  My USB port on my old phone is broken and can't be fixed without replacing the entire circuit board!

I used the Blackberry Protect on my Torch 9860, and I can see the back up when I log in.  I just can't restore anything to my Z10.

The crappy USB port on my Torch 9860 is busted.  I know that because I actually found the pin that broke away from the main circuit board on the phone that, guess what, COMPLETES THE CIRCUIT!!!.

I can't believe Blackberry makes a product where the USB is the ONLY way to transfer contacts, calendars, etc., from an older Blackberry.  Somebody sure wasn't thinking...  I'm seriously thinking about returning the Blackberry for a more user friendly brand.  The USB lifeline with no backup is a REALLY bad idea, and POOR planning on Blackberry's part.

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Broken USB on Torch - How to Transfer Contacts to Z10

What's wrong with Bluetooth? I use it all the time. It also allows me to backup my entire phone wirelessly.

BTW. Have you checked your last backup prior to the USB failure?
New Contributor

I have lots of contacts and the Torch 9860 only allows you to Bluetooth them one at a time.

If I could use Bluetooth to get them all without having to select one at a time from my Torch to copy them to the Z10 that would be great. 

Know of a way to do that between a Z10 and 9860?

New Contributor

I spoke to the Radio Shack support... such an awesome help!!! 

Here is the answer (using the same SIM card to copy and transfer):

1) Have the SIM card in the Torch. Select the Setup Icon on the Torch

2) Select Device Switch

3) Select the Option to Copy Data to your SIM Card and let it copy.

4) Switch the SIM card to the Z10.  Go to the Setup Icon on the Z10

5) Select Device Switch

6) Select Transfer Data and let it copy.

It takes a few minutes for the Z10 to get everything from the SIM to the Z10, but SOOOOOO relieved to see all my stuff back!

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

You could have previously configured the Desktop Manager do use Bluetooth to wireless backup and sync your device.

If you were using the USB cable, your computer may have an image of the device so that could transfer the values over the to Z10.

Z10 SIM sounds like a great plan.... however doesn't the Z10 and Torch use different SIM card sizes?

New Contributor

Ooops, My bad.... I used the SD Card and not the SIM card to make the transfer happen.  You are correct, the SIM cards are different sizes.

As for Desktop Manager, it no longer works with the Z10 OS version.  You have to use Blackberry Link with the Z10.  I had the current backup of my Torch with Blackberrry Protect, but could not find an option to copy it over to the Z10. 

I thought about copying files from an older backup using explorer, but didn't need to go that route so I didn't try it.