Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10 - not using it myself, providing tech support
My Carrier: 41787741449
Accepted Solution

Cannot get ActiveSync to work with Exchange 2010

Hi!

We cannot get the Z10 to do ActiveSync with our Exchange 2010 server. We know for a fact that ActiveSync works with our Exchange server, because we have an iPhone that syncs correctly, and because Microsoft's online Exchange testing tool also confirms that our test account can be accessed.

Also, I used network monitoring software to look at the actual network traffic, and I can see TLS packets being exchanged - however with the Z10, that's where it stops: when connecting from MS' test tool, the TLS setup is followed by HTTP traffic, which is not the case when the Z10 tries to connect - traffic stops after that point.

This leads me to believe that the Z10 is refusing our server's certificate, which would be logical, as that certificate is merely a self-signed one (it would be real nice though if the Z10 actually *told* me that this is indeed the reason).

Operating from that guess, I tried to install our self-signed certificate onto the Z10 device, but without success.  I exported our certificate to a .pfx file and moved it to the "certs" folder on the device, then proceeded to the "Import certificates" section of the security settings (translating these names back from the French UI) . I tried both the "Personal certificate authority" and the "Personal Client " classes, but even though the Z10 makes me type in the certificate's (mandatory) password, the import fails with the red "X" icon and the message "0 certificates imported out of 1".

This problem has cost us hours of our time at this point, so a pointer in the right direction would be *much* appreciated.

Thanks,

Jean-Pierre Gygax

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Cannot get ActiveSync to work with Exchange 2010

if you want to import something on your Z10, it is not the certificate you want to import, but rather the certificate that authenticates your certificate.

That being said, why don't you buy a cheap certificate issued by a CA recognised by the Z10?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

That being said, why don't you buy a cheap certificate issued by a CA recognised by the Z10?

That is certainly a possibility, but let me get the facts straight first...

if you want to import something on your Z10, it is not the certificate you want to import, but rather the certificate that authenticates your certificate.

The support article I was basing my attempt on *did* mention that I should export two certificates... But I have no idea what that "parent" certificate is! I created the self-signed certificate quite some time ago as part of setting up Exchange 2010 (at least I think that's how it happened), and I wasn't aware this self-signed certificate was authenticated by another. 

How do I find out which certificate I need to transfer onto the Z10?

Thanks!

Jean-Pierre

Guru I

hi,

I am not familiar with self-signed certificates.
When you open such a certificate in Windows, you should be able to see the certificate above yours. I hope it is not itself.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Xandrex, thanks again.

I'm not insisting on using a self-signed certificate at all. I'd just like to have your opinion before purchasing a real certificate: do you think that this certificate issue is indeed what's preventing the https connection?

-- Jean-Pierre

Guru I

I am not sure.
can you use that selfcert for another part of the web server and try to access it with the Z10 browser?

I have a feeling that maybe the people at the BES10 board may be able to help you better than me here.
Even if your question is about ActiveSync without BES10.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

device will need root cert installed prior and possible a user cert too depending on environment

if you dont want to install root certs, use verisign, godaddy etc, to get one

I used Godaddy multi cert as you need one for EAS, OWA, discover, FQDN

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks to the responders!

I got a cheap certificate and installed it on the server. This solved the problem.

Conclusion: there is a problem with installing certificates on the device itself (which could probably be solved), but installing a real certificate on the server does the job nicely.