Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogefs

Categories where did they go?

Categories are g

In all previous OS we could assign a category to each contact then hit the menu button click on filter and view our contacts by category. I have gone through everything in Contacts and nothing. Tried to add a field but there is no field for this. Any suggestions would be great. 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Categories where did they go?

Categories and Groups for the Address Book have been removed.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor

I cannot understand what BlackBerry was thinking when they removed all the applications that we have been using since day one. I cannot wait to see what happens when the Z10 launches in the United States. I mentioned in one of my previous posts, (let Blackberry sink) wait till OBAMA wants to divided his basketball friends from his family with categories which he has probably used for years and he finds out there gone or he wants to setup separate notifications for all his different emails or he wants to sync his Z10 with Outlook or he wants to delete an email on the road and pick it up when he opens up his laptop when he arrives or maybe he has been reading all the cons and has decided to go to an iphone like all the people on here that have returned there Z10 or maybe he will just stick with his old BlackBerry and run on a OS that makes sense.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

It is a feature that I use alot and I am also dissapointed that its not there. I think the reason that they strip is that when they designed the new OS, they expected people would sync their contacts and calendars via cloud , and I think as a .vcard, these feilds are not supported by many online web accounts. Maybe when they add the usb sync, they would add this feild back in or future OS upgrade as a feature that many BB users want.

Trusted Contributor

I am really finding it hard to believe they are even listening to us. To me it looks like they are going after the entertainment market. App world is filled with games, movies and music but for business it just plainly sucks. I finally got my Contacts syncing wirelessly and had to stop it shortly after it started. All kinds of errors, doubled up on some contacts changed address. There is no way to control what it is doing. With the USB sync which we all have used for years we had control over what was copied for instance I make all my changes on Blackberry throughout the day so when I get back to my office I had Blackberry Desktop setup to do a one way sync from Blackberry to Outlook for everything.

Forums Advisor III
My Carrier: Rogers

Arsen wrote:

It is a feature that I use alot and I am also dissapointed that its not there. I think the reason that they strip is that when they designed the new OS, they expected people would sync their contacts and calendars via cloud , and I think as a .vcard, these feilds are not supported by many online web accounts. Maybe when they add the usb sync, they would add this feild back in or future OS upgrade as a feature that many BB users want.

It is also possible that they either didn't have enough time to add it to the new OS yet, or they had issues with it and it got pulled for the release. I would think that it is going to be a feature that will be added to the new OS in the future.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

Yes everyone is talking the future but BlackBerry's future is not looking good
They need to come out with some kind of press release with a guarantee date the old applications will be implemented and it better be before all our 15 days run out. They will sync much faster then they are looking after our Outlook sync.

We as users have no idea why the categories and groups were removed.

Until BlackBerry itself comments on the issue, there's not need to get one's hope up that they might be returned.

Perhaps it was just an unfinished OS, sloppy programming or even a brickwall issue... the only facts we do know are

• They are not present currently.
  • There has been no comment as of this date, as to why they were removed, and if or when they might return.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor

Bringing out something that is not ready for the public is never a smart move. They brought out a new update for the Playbook last week which has been a nightmare. We all know what happened to the Titanic and I think BlackBerry is not far behind them.

Since you're going off-topic ... last week's PlayBook update has been fine for me.

And the Titanic sunk on it's maiden voyage... BlackBerry has been sailing the seas for 12+ years. Bad analogy.

You seem to have lots of complaints on the z10 (and the PlayBook). If you want to create a thread over in the Social Lounge area and sound off, feel free. But your question here has been answered and this thread basically resolved, has it not (until BlackBerry makes some other announcement or we learn different)?

Knowledge Base Updates