Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: BB10 Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Cheapskates beware! An observation...

I guess my question for the experts is "does sd media card Type/Speed Mater?"

Bought an inexpensive SmartX Mobile Ultra 32Gig media card for my Z10, hoping to save device storage.  The price seemed to good to pass up on!

Problem is that my Z10 found many of the files (pictures, music, etc) that I loaded on the card unreadable and returned the message “ Error  This file contains an unsupported media format“.  The exact same files, loaded on my Device memory, played fine.

I’ve tried reformatting the card several times, but couldn't resolve the issue. Bought a more expensive Lexar card to "test" and now everything seems to work fine, media files behave as they should!

Guess the lesson is that you kinda get what you pay for…

K

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

Re: Cheapskates beware! An observation...

[ Edited ]

I think the trick is to make sure the card is compatible with the requirements of the hardware.  I have had good luck with cheap cards particularly with older devices.  I once got a better quality card for a two year old digital camera and the card would not work.  Turns out, the hardware could not support the card,but it worked just fine in a newer camera.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Contributor

Enygma wrote:

I think the trick is to make sure the card is compatible with the requirements of the hardware.  I have had good luck with cheap cards particularly with older devices.  I once got a better quality card for a two year old digital camera and the card would not work.  Turns out, the hardware could not support the card,but it worked just fine in a newer camera.

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree.  The Lexar I am using now is far from expensive though.  

Regrettably, the cheaper cards, in my experience, rarely post any specs.  I ended up spending a lot of time formatting, loading and reloading what is likely a faulty card.  Just posting my experience for others that might be struggling with similar issues.

Not sure if there are any minimum "compatibility" specs for the Z10 or whether I just got a "dud".

K

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get your point.  Generally, you get what you pay for and I won't go cheap for many items just for that reason.

Was it not possible to get the dud exchanged?  Of course I do understand it is pointless when getting this stuff by mail order or ordering online as the shipping costs are a killer.

If I do get cheap accessories, I stick to brick and mortar stores with a return and exchange policy in case the product doesn't work.  I'll test the product within a day or so to make sure it works. I haven't had to avail myself of those policies yet, but it is nice to know I can.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Trusted Contributor

Getting back to the first question as to whether media type/speed matters, in my experience, the lower specced cards work just fine for general media.  The higher specced cards are really for high-end media devices such as high end cameras and video recorders that capture high frame rates.  This is generally not a consideration for something like a smartphone.

As to the Z10, I suppose the specs can be found on the BB website.  If there are special requirements for accessories, those requirements should be listed there.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Contributor

14 day return policy for the store. I squandered this fiddling around with settings and reformats. At the price I paid, almost wasn't worth driving back to change it.

I know card speed does matter for video with the Z10 not accepting cards that cannot handle certain minimum data rates.
Trusted Contributor

Well, I looked into the specs of the Z10, and they made no mention of that:

Link to Z10 specs from BB

I looked at a store on the CrackBerry website and they list a number of compatible microSD cards, some listed as Class 4, one 64GB version as a Class 10 and some not classed.  The differences seem to stem from whether one is recording video in SD, HD or full HD.  Apparently, only a Class 10 is rated for taking a rapid series of full HD stills (burst mode).

Link to CrackBerry store for Z10 compatible microSD cards

The choice of card speed seems to boil down to intended purpose.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

The Z10 requires a class 10 card for best performance. I formated the card with the phone.

I know the Kingston and PNY card work okay. I have not tested the Corsair class 10 in our phones, but I am sure this type should also work.  I am using both types on our Z10's and other Blackberry type phones.

The bargain priced cards are usually the lower end cards and will have problems with most smart phones and many types of digital cameras in general.

Jerry G.