Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Contact Ringtones Returning to Default

Hello!

I've been having this ongoing issue with my Z10 wherein the custom ringtones that I set for my contacts will return to the default, seemingly at random. I'm wondering if anyone knows the cause, or is experiencing the same problem, or at the very least make the problem is known to be an issue and something that could be fixed in the future.

Here are some specs to start:

Z10 STL100-3

Running OS10.1.2354 on the Bell network.

What I have discovered so far. I have my ringtones stored on my SD Card. I set the custom ringtones for each contact, then seemingly at random they will eventually ALL return to default. This includes contacts whose ringtones and settings I set to "none" as well as vibration and LED settings, everything turns to default.

Now, I think it coincides with another strange bug I seem to be experiencing. Every so often, the phone will “lose” the SD card. All the media will become unreadable and if I look in file manager the media card looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/LLrZ487.png?1 This was happening very frequently to me, so I did a full format of the card (thinking it may be a corrupt part of the media card) with my PC and the occurrences are much less frequent, but still happen. A reboot of the device fixes the read issue, and the phone is able to read the data on the media card normally (which is strange). I will be replacing the card with a new one to see if the issue reoccurs, that way I can rule in or out the card being the problem.

Now I have noticed that it seems to be after this random loss of the ability to read the card is when the contact ringtones reset to default, so they may be connected. To me that doesn’t explain why the LED settings and settings for vibration or contacts set to “none” would be completely reset as well.

Sorry for the long post, I’m trying to be as thorough in my own troubleshooting as I can be so that there might be a better idea what may be causing this problem. If anyone has any suggestions, or even an affirmative that this is a known issue, I’d appreciate the feedback!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810, Z10
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Contact Ringtones Returning to Default

You might want to check your SD card as this sounds like there could very well be a problem with it.  Maybe pull the SD card and backup whats on it to your PC then reformat it.  THere are a number of SD Card test utilities such as HDTune and CrystalDiskMark.

Contributor

I've done that once. It seemed to resolve the SD card issue, at least temporarily, as before the reformat, it was doing that several times a day. I'm starting to wonder if an app may be causing it. The last time it happened was when I was attempting to install a map for a GPS app.

I'll be replacing the card (good excuse to upgrade to a 64gb card), and if the problem persists, I will rule out the card being corrupt.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810, Z10
My Carrier: ATT

Sounds like the way to go.  Lucky SD Cards have really come down in price.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (STL 100-2) -10.1.0.4181
My Carrier: Optus

Maybe store them in a music folder on the phone's internal memory for more reliable accessability.

The default ones are in the internal flash memory. In any case, it's often a good idea to put the SD card into an adapter and defragment it in the computer.

It's surprising how messed up they can get.

Disclaimer:
I know a little about lots of things,
yet not a great lot about those little-things.
Ultimately, I'm here to learn.
Contributor

I have a new development. I no longer believe that the SD Card is to blame for the Contact Ringtones returning to default.

I tried storing some ringtones on the device memory and recorded the last time that this happened (Sept 8). They all reset again today, even the ringtones I stored on the device memory. However I noticed two things. Firstly that all my BBM Links to my contacts unlinked. Secondly, the colours assigned to my Calendars changed. So I've come to the conclusion that something about my Outlook account to which all of my contacts and my calendars are synced, reset or something and that caused all of my ringtones to reset to default. I have no idea why, exactly, but if this is an issue it would be nice if BlackBerry knew about it.