Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

DELETING ALL Z10 CONTACTS + RESTORING

I need to delete all the contacts on my boss's Z10 and re-synch with my Outlook 2007 (all sorts of duplications have occurred in both systems, with the result that the Z10 contact list in particular is a mess - there are 3,000-4,000 of them).

I understand that I need to back up via BlackBerry Link first, and then do a security wipe, as per a previous thread: "Then perform a security wipe by going to Settings>Security>Security Wipe. Please Note: This will erase all data off the BlackBerry Z10"

What I don't understand is how I then go on to restore all the other data EXCEPT the contacts, prior to doing a clean synch from Outlook.

What's meant by the 3 categories including in BlackBerry Link's 'Select data to include in backup file' - Application Data, Media, Settings?

Any help/advice would be very welcome, as I daren't do a security wipe until I know what I'm doing!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: DELETING ALL Z10 CONTACTS + RESTORING

Hi jjlothin,

When doing the restore to exclude Contacts remove the check from Application Data, this database will contain locally stored application data, for example: Application data (games, Social apps), PIM data (local Contacts and Calendar data) Remember application (notes).

The Media database would include media files stored locally on the device, and Settings includes the device settings such as UI settings, notifications and email accounts.

Let me know if you have any question.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Much appreciate your reply, HB!

I have now taken a different approach - namely, using Contact X app (£2, for a function I would have hoped BB would include in any case!) to delete all the contacts, and - after a long long haul working out how to get BlackBerry Link to work (eventually discovered I needed to delete the account on the BB first - re-importing the contacts from my Outlook.

However, should I need to restore from backup in future, could I just check, would emails + text messages sent be part of the Application Data? If so, I couldn't afford to do the restore with App Data unchecked, as the BB would be the only record of these ...

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Optus

I so agree with your post this should be standard stuff but BB fail again.
If your email is using a microsoft exchange which is how i do it i deleted all contacts from my phon and just update contacts in outlook and it automatically updates on the phone.
Not that BB do anythng its just the exchange that updates it on its own.
I just use outlook as the main contact and add to that and it covers it all off.
Contributor

Thanks for that, Nap68, but we don't use microsoft exchange here ... makes life complicated sometimes!