Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone IE

Data Roaming Issue

I recently upgraded to the Z10 from my BB9900.

I have always ensured that I have data roaming disabled on all the blackberry's I have owned and the Z10 was no different.

I went to the UK and 18 days into my visit got a text informing me that my data roaming charges were building up and asking if I wanted to keep roaming after I hit the €50 mark. Obviously this was a bit of a surprise when I have data roaming disabled.

I spoke to customer services who told me to wait till I was back in Ireland and take it to a shop to have it looked at. Now it occurred to me that taking it to a vodafone store at home would not allow proper exploration of the roaming issue so I took it to a vodafone shop in the UK where a member of staff kindly checked both my Z10 and my husbands and confirmed that while data roaming was indeed switched off data was still being received/accessible from the device. The staff member rebooted both phones and tried switching to 2g but still I was able to connect.

My network provider (do not IE) could only come up with the idea of switching off all data services from their end which did the job while I was in the UK but took over half an hour to have switched back on when I arrived home.

I have been advised that it is a problem with the handset and not vodafone and that there must be an issue with the data roaming toggle on the Z10. They suggested I contacted RIM myself and have the issue looked at. Looking at the website it seems it is impossible for an end user of the phone to contact technical support at RIM directly and to be truthful it seems to me if the network provided me with the phone and the package they should be dealing with it themselves. 

As this is an issue that affects both my husband and my Z10 I figure there are other people out there who are going to have similar issues. We have gone through the settings with tech support any number of times apart from the vodafone employee doing the same and our settings are correct.

I don't want to have to phone my network provider every time I leave the country and ask to have data services disabled and then have to ring them back on my return to have them switched on.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions? I'm going to be battling the charges as I did switch off data roaming as they tell you to do on their website but no one I have spoken to has agreed to take the email of the UK member of vodafone to confirm that the phone can connect/receive data while roaming when data roaming is off.

Arell, Z10 on Vodafone IE (Ireland)

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI459), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Data Roaming Issue

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Interesting! Very interesting indeed! But, here is where things fell apart:

Arell wrote:
They suggested I contacted RIM myself and have the issue looked at. Looking at the website it seems it is impossible for an end user of the phone to contact technical support at RIM directly and to be truthful it seems to me if the network provided me with the phone and the package they should be dealing with it themselves. 

You are 100% correct. Contractually, there is no free method for end users to contact BlackBerry (there is no more RIM) for support, for that indeed is the responsibility of the network provider(s). So, it would seem that whoever you spoke to was (I will be gentle) not well trained. Only the carriers have access to the formal escalation channel to push issues up to BlackBerry. End users have no access to such a channel (well, not free...there is a fee-based model, but you should not have to resort to that).

So, what I'd suggest is that you contact your home carrier again, and hopefully you still have your ticket number from the prior call...refer to that and insist that they (your carrier) conduct the escalation that you were incorrectly instructed to do yourself.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

It was the Vodafone Official Communty Forum Manager who suggested I contact them so I have it in writing as posted below.

I like to raise issues with them in the official vodafone forum as well as by phone.

Thanks for the advice, I will post that back to him right now.  

Hiya,
It looks like the phones aren't recognising that they're roaming.

We would bill you for data used, as it's a legitimate charge - however you may need to raise this with the manufacturer, as the data roaming toggle should function correctly.

I'll also ask the test team here to take a look.

Thanks,

New Contributor

Just as a matter of interest I did find a way to contact Blackberry Technical Support directly and this is nowing being investigated.

I was able to contact them via:

https://www.blackberry.com/technicalsupport/index.do?ft=generic 

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI459), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Yes, that channel has been lying around for a few years, with differing opinions as to it's appropriate usage, along with different results by those who have tried it. I'm glad it worked in your situation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................