Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Delete email on Z10 but keep in gmail?

Hello all,

Just got my z10 yesterday and am loving it.  I have one question.  Ive searched like crazy for this but cant figure it out.  Any help would be appreciated.  Is there a way to delete an email on the Z10 but not have it deleted when I log into my gmail on a computer? I like to check out the email on my phone but then go on a computer later in the day to look at more important ones.  I know i had this in the past with older blackberrys, but not sure how it can be done on the Z10.  Thanks.

Ryan

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Z10 Rogers

Re: Delete email on Z10 but keep in gmail?

As of now this is not an option. Don't delete any emails off your Z10 until you open them on your computer.
New Contributor

Oh crud. Hopefully this will be an option in the future. Thanks for the reply
Forums Advisor III
My Carrier: Rogers

I think that the quick solution here is to make a folder for items that you don't want on the Z10 and move them to that folder, set that folder to not display on the Z10 and you won't see those emails. They will however still be on the gMail server in that folder.

This keeps things synchronized and it means that you don't have to read everything over again on the PC/MAC as they are all reconciled. Smiley Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor

Ok ill give that a try. Thanks for the advice. Great device so far. Traded in iphone yesterday for the z10
Forums Advisor III
My Carrier: Rogers

If it works for you, don't forget to mark it as solved. Smiley Happy
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

deanclean wrote:
Oh crud. Hopefully this will be an option in the future. Thanks for the reply

It likely won't be available in the future.

The Z10 uses Active Sync technology and simply the smartphone only reflects email on the phone from what it sees ON your email server. Delete it on the phone, it deletes on the server. That's the way this technology works.

If you want an email saved for future reference, don't delete it. Or file it away in a different folder to remove it from your main inbox.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Playbook; Bold9900 4G; Z10LLTE
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks JSanders, but email sent on my Z10 does not show up as Sent in my imap mail server (www.fastmail.fm) unlike my BB9900 which, like the iPad, faithfully transmits everything to the imap server. The other thing I noticed is that the Z10 does not move to folders, it copies to folders, leaving the Inbox on the z10 full. Or have I missed a setting somewhere? Thanks for your expert input here.
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

I'll be honestly, I am not an expert on IMAP folder syncing... I don't believe IMAP syncs folders at all.

ActiveSync accounts do.

Let me get a friend to review this for you.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

With GMail (which I have integrated as IMAP), the folders don't actually even exist...GMail uses "labels" rather than true folders, but on the Z10, they are represented as folders, so it's essentially the same thing.

By default, they don't actually sync, but you can view them via the blue bar at the top of the message list...that gives you a selector to view your various server-based folders. In the Account Settings wizard, however, you can control the actual sync to the device of your other folders.

As for Sent Items, those do (for GMail) go into the proper server folder (label) when sent from the Z10.

As for moving (filing, in the Z10 inteface), those do properly (for GMail) get applied to the proper folder (label) and are effected as a true move, no longer showing in the Inbox.

Now, again, this is all as applied to GMail -- I do not know if it works the same on other IMAP service providers (it should, but one never knows).

You might want to try removing and re-integrating the account, using the Advanced configuration screens (rather than the Wizard) so as to be sure that it's properly integrated for full IMAP.

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................