Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Delete email on Z10 but keep in gmail?

All of my accounts are setup as IMAP on my z10 right now, so I just did a few quick tests to see what would happen on my Z.

With 'Show filed messages' switched off:

Filing a message that is unread files the message and it remains visible in the 'unified message folder' (which is what I will call the main folder that the hub would display for the email account without selecting a specific folder in the account, for lack of a more accurate name for it.)

If I mark the filed message as read, it disappears from this 'unified account view' but is found in the folder it was filed in.

If I file a message that is read already, it disappears from the 'unified account view' and is only visible in the folder.

So it seems to be working properly for me, other than the fact that if it is unread it somehow the Z determines that it needs to be displayed.

I can also confirm the same functionality from the hub itself.

I believe it makes sense that the device turns on synchronisation for the folder that you are moving the items to automagically, as to move the item it would need to synchronise that folder between the device and the server simply in order to facilitate the move.

I also think that the Z not placing deleted items into the selected trash folder may be a bug, as this is the standard IMAP practice. I will try confirm that with some contacts, but it could be by design. I'll report back what I find out on that. Smiley Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Makes me sleepy.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Playbook; Bold9900 4G; Z10LLTE
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks, but that doesn`t work on my Z10.  The only thing that seems to work is going to Advance Folders and unchecking the Synch button.  The filed messages then disappear from the Hub, Messages and InBox.  Unless I`m not reading your advice correctly.  

Hamilt500 wrote:

Thanks, but that doesn`t work on my Z10.  The only thing that seems to work is going to Advance Folders and unchecking the Synch button.  The filed messages then disappear from the Hub, Messages and InBox.  Unless I`m not reading your advice correctly.  

That may be our only choices for now. If that's the intended action (to include those messages in the hub), it's not great. Just disable that folder to appear in the hub.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Advisor III

JSanders wrote:

I'll be honestly, I am not an expert on IMAP folder syncing... I don't believe IMAP syncs folders at all.

ActiveSync accounts do.

Let me get a friend to review this for you.

:Sleep1:

Makes me sleepy.

That may be our only choices for now. If that's the intended action (to include those messages in the hub), it's not great. Just disable that folder to appear in the hub.

Had you taken the time to read the post that I made rather than troll it with a "Yawn", you would have noted a few very important items within it:

Namely:

"I believe it makes sense that the device turns on synchronisation for the folder that you are moving the items to automagically, as to move the item it would need to synchronise that folder between the device and the server simply in order to facilitate the move."

IMAP will not be able to move items to the folder without turning on the synchronization (in the background and automatically) as this is how IMAP works. IMAP essentially mirrors on the device what is on the server, so in essence it does 'synchronize' the folders.

That said, filing is working and when "Display filed messages" is turned off messages are not displayed in the "root unified mail folder" or "root unified hub" as long as they are marked read. Even when the folder is set to be synchronized in the folder settings for the account.

There seems to be a possible bug in that an unread filed message is given some level of importance and it is somehow displayed in the "root unified mail folder" or "root unified hub" improperly.

IMAP is also not showing the "Trash" folder in the list of folders to synchronise for any of my 4 imap accounts, which is probably why deleted items are not being sent to the trash folder which is the usual standard for IMAP clients. Although I again say that this may be by design. This bug may be attributed to the fact that folder is actually listed as Wastebasket by the Z10, which is a folder that does not exist on the IMAP server in any form.

Sorry to have crushed any toes of any of the Community "Elite", with this post, as they are apparently known, but if you look back I was post 4 on this and the 'move to folder' idea was actually mine, so I do have a vested interest in making sure that this IMAP 'workaround' to permanently deleted messages actually does work as I said initially and I believe that I have.

I will supplement this discovery with images from my device which prove that the move to folder is actually working as designed (minus the unread issue), and I believe that unless you have different software on your device you will see the same results.

I will also be logging both the unread filed item displaying, and the permanent nature of the delete as possible bugs tomorrow.

Thank you.

Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!

drewread wrote:

Had you taken the time to read the post that I made rather than troll it with a "Yawn", you would have noted a few very important items within it:

Big boy, was I yawning at you? Chip on your shoulder over something?

I had a private message from a user asking me to review this thread hours ago, to see if I had any input. Can you handle it because someone wanted a second opinion?

I suggest you learn to make friends around here, rather than making spurious attacks on folks and accusing me of trolling. Sheez. I get too many messages each day asking me to check this or that thread, without having any idea what coupe dozen threads you might have posted in. And if you think there a "thread protection" rule around here, you're more than silly.

There's much more helpful things we can do around here than snipe.

Knowledge Base Updates

drewread wrote:
 but if you look back I was post 4 on this and the 'move to folder' idea was actually mine, so I do have a vested interest in making sure that this IMAP 'workaround' to permanently deleted messages actually does work as I said initially and I believe that I have.

Hey all, drewread was first. Got that?

Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Advisor III

The second opinion is more than welcome, prefacing it with the following simply makes me wonder why you bothered. Smiley Happy

"I'll be honestly, I am not an expert on IMAP folder syncing... I don't believe IMAP syncs folders at all.
ActiveSync accounts do."

I'd love to know to what the "Yawn" was referring to if not the post directly before it, after all you didn't take the time to provide us with a quote to otherwise reference. Smiley Wink
Contributor
My Device: Playbook; Bold9900 4G; Z10LLTE
My Carrier: Bell

Just a friendly thought for all the folks participating in this forum because it seems there may be a direct link from this forum to Blackberry support staff.  When I purchased my iPad, I unpacked the box, read no manual, enterred my email address and password and with nothing more, including no posts on any forum, I had an email client that moved emails comprehensively and perfectly to folders which were virtually instantly accessible, concurrently deleted the email from the screen, leaving me with a tidy inbox that reflected what was unfiled.  No manuals,  No instructions.  No forum discussion.  Simple.  Eleganat.  User-friendly.  RIMM has made giant strides in overcoming its engineering-techie personality but it still needs a Vice-CEO of Usability reporting to Mr. Heins.  Had that position been effectively in place, the Playbook would never have seen the light of day.  And we all would not be searching for workarounds or peculiarities in the Z10.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Hamilt500, I don't mean to start a war, so take this in the sort of ironic/humorous light in which it's meant. I don't have a beef to pick with the iPad here.

After reading your post, I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity as to whether the iPad supported IMAP. I googled "ipad imap" and the first hit was this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2445861?start=0&tstart=0

The part I found ironic was that -- although it confirms the iPad supports IMAP -- it's also a demonstration of someone having to contact an Apple forum to get help setting up their iPad for IMAP. They appear to have been instructed that to resolve the particular problem they were having, they needed to toggle airplane mode on and off...(!) (did I get that right? I skimmed).

This was from 2010, mind you, and the iPad has certainly matured. I'm pretty confident that BB10 will mature fairly soon as well, so it needs fewer forum threads too.

(For what it's worth, I set up my IMAP account with no issues at all. It just works.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!