Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Playbook; Bold9900 4G; Z10LLTE
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Delete email on Z10 but keep in gmail?

Thank you for the suggestion to start over.  I did so, changed the port from 993 to 992 as www.fastmail.fm suggested BIS has a problem with the Imap Inbox, and my Z10 email system now works as follows:

• An InBox email deleted on the Z10 is deleted on the imap server from the InBox on the server and on the Z10 but does not show up anywhere - not in the Trash on the Z10 and not in the Trash on the Fastmail.fm IMAP server. In other words, "Delete" on the Z10 appears to be "Delete Permanently".
  • The imap server folders are now listed and visible on the Z10 and an email "filed" on the Z10 in one of the folders does show up on the folders on the IMAP server when viewed on a PC, but is not moved from the Z10 InBox.  As a result, I think the Z10 inbox is diverging from the Imap server inbox because it is moved out of the inbox on the server while it remains in the Inbox on the Z10.  I`ll follow that further.  
  • Sending on the Z10 files a copy of the sent email in the Sent folder on the Imap server. 
  • We have lost the option on the BB9900 to delete only on the Handheld or on both Handheld and Server and now Delete on the Z10 means gone from everywhere for ever.

The exception of the filing vs. move issue, and the Delete vs Delete Permanently issue, it now seems that the Z10 is coordinated with the email client on my PC.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hamilt500 wrote:
  • An InBox email deleted on the Z10 is deleted on the imap server from the InBox on the server and on the Z10 but does not show up anywhere - not in the Trash on the Z10 and not in the Trash on the Fastmail.fm IMAP server. In other words, "Delete" on the Z10 appears to be "Delete Permanently".

You are right! I have been in the midst of some heavy testing in other areas, and had not noticed that. A very hard delete when conducted on the Z10! I wonder how it works on PlayBook? I'll need to try there as well (there are many similarities with how things process on BB10 and the PB).

Hamilt500 wrote:

• The imap server folders are now listed and visible on the Z10 and an email "filed" on the Z10 in one of the folders does show up on the folders on the IMAP server when viewed on a PC, but is not moved from the Z10 InBox.  As a result, I think the Z10 inbox is diverging from the Imap server inbox because it is moved out of the inbox on the server while it remains in the Inbox on the Z10.  I`ll follow that further.  

Yup...but there is a trick I found. It seems that, in the Messages interface, when you select to view or work with (e.g., via Filing) another server folder, that the Z10 "helpfully" goes (transparent to you) to the Accounts Settings area, and places a check mark into the folder selected for synchronization. Hence, that folder is now being synchronize between the device and the server, and intermingling into your email Messages list (it's not, technically, an "inbox"). So, you have to go to the Accounts Settings screen and uncheck that folder, then your Messages list should return to normal (e.g., the items from that folder not intermingled).

Hamilt500 wrote:
  • Sending on the Z10 files a copy of the sent email in the Sent folder on the Imap server. 

Excellent!

Hamilt500 wrote:

• We have lost the option on the BB9900 to delete only on the Handheld or on both Handheld and Server and now Delete on the Z10 means gone from everywhere for ever.

Yup...that is universal. Some other platforms give, even with ActiveSync, the ability to delete only on the mobile device. The BlackBerry implementation of ActiveSync does not include that feature. So the device and server mailboxes are intended to be mirror images of each other (within the max 30-day window of the device, of course).

Hamilt500 wrote:

The exception of the filing vs. move issue, and the Delete vs Delete Permanently issue, it now seems that the Z10 is coordinated with the email client on my PC.

For the Filing issue, check the Account Settings folder selection area. For the hard delete, that may or may not be WAD -- Working As Designed.

Hamilt500 wrote:

Thank you very much for your help.

You are very welcome...enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks.  I went to accounts, asked the Z10 to synch all folders.  Trash does not show up on the list , so on Z10, Delete is remarkably powerful.  To the point that it might be useful to create a folder called TrashX and file there instead of delete and clean that folder out on the pc periodically like the normal Trash folder in Imap.

However, despite everything I tried  with check marks and no check marks in Advanced Folder Settings, including checking them all, File still means "Put a copy in the specified folder and leave the original in the InBox until someone deletes it somewhere sometime."  So I must be missing some step.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

No no...you need to un-check them all in the Accounts Settings screen. Having them checked causes them to sync to the device, and thereby intermingle the items from those folders (within the 30-day timeframe) into the Messages list (again, not an "inbox") for that email account. So, if it was "helpfully" automatically checked for you (when you filed or looked at that folder), then it is just appearing in the Messages list, but it's not in the accounts Inbox...just intermingled, in the Messages list, with the items that do come from the Inbox. Unchecking it in the Account Settings should clear it out of the Messages list for that email account.

Now, if it's still showing when you have all folders Un-Checked, and you've properly "filed" it to that non-inbox folder (again, checking the Account Settings after you perform the file action -- it may be that the actual filing transaction is what "helpfully" checks the box for you...I haven't been able to test any further), then something is odd...for that's not the behavior I experienced.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks again.  I unchecked all folders, returned to InBox, filed an email in a folder ABC, went to Settings, and lo and behold, in some mysterious fashion Thorsten Heins found his way into my Z10 and checked the ABC folder.  Is there someway to remove his invisible hand from the interior of my Z10?

Hall of Famer III

Nope...that seems to be how it's designed..."helpful". Now that you've tested what I did not have time to, I'm going to add that to a list... Thanks!

Contributor

Just to be precise about the test.  When I filed the email, and it remained in my InBox on the Z10, I did, as you suggested, go back to Advanced Folders and uncheck the automated synch, refreshed, and the email did disappear from the InBox.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the PC imap client was now totally in synch with the email in the right folder on the imap server and out of the PC Inbox.  So it boils down to this invisible "helpful" hand getting removed from the software.  Thanks for all your help.  (But I can`t see dozens/hundreds/thousands of Z10 users moving back to Advanced folders all the time they want to simply  "MOVE" an email to a folder.  Off this Topic for now.  Thanks for your help.

Hall of Famer III

Sorry...but to be even more precise...

Hamilt500 wrote:

Just to be precise about the test.  When I filed the email, and it remained in my InBox on the Z10

Unless you specifically navigated, via the blue bar at the top of the Messages list, to your actual email Inbox folder, then what you were seeing was the "Messages" list, which is a conglomeration of many things, including the Inbox. And that's why the item displayed...because the folder was automatically checked in the folder synchronization interface (and the date of the item fell within the time window you have set for synchronization), and thereby items in that folder were now included into the Messages list...not because the item was in your actual Inbox.

The "Messages" list for your email account <> Inbox; rather, Inbox is a subset of Messages, and what shows in the Messages list is controlled by many other settings. You can see the difference by using the blue bar to navigate to the actual Inbox folder...it's a different entity than the main item that is by default selected for viewing the Messages list.

I do agree that this process is not helpful...after all, the intent is to hide from the users view an item, and the method is to move (via Filing) the item to a different folder. But, the "helpful" function of automatically checking the box for folder synchronization results in defeating what the users actual intent was.

Cheers!

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

If you do not want to see the messages after you have filed them into a folder on the server, in the Hub setting, go to Display and Action and then turn off  "Show Filed Messages" and they will no longer show in the Hub, but are still sync with the server os you can access them in the folder that you filed them in when you look in that folder or use the seach

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

rat-7 wrote:

If you do not want to see the messages after you have filed them into a folder on the server, in the Hub setting, go to Display and Action and then turn off  "Show Filed Messages" and they will no longer show in the Hub, but are still sync with the server os you can access them in the folder that you filed them in when you look in that folder or use the seach

Actually, my tests were the opposite...no matter the setting for displaying of Filed messages, they continued to display in the Messages list after filed to a separate folder (and the automatic selection to sync that folder was "helpfully" done for me).

YMMV, of course.