Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Deleting Email on Server only, on Device only or on Both

I am not able to delete email on my device without deleting it on my server. this was possible prior to upgrading to the Z10.

Will this be made available again? if so, is there any estimate on how much longer it will be?

If not, what are my options? I don't want to keep an endless stream of emails on my device - I want to be able to read what I need and remove it from my device without affecting my computer.  I receive both personal and business emails on my device and I don't want them to have to remain there in order to keep the copies on my server.

Please help, this is very frustrating.  Especially because the way that I found out this was happening was when I got the device and deleted some emails I'd read only to find out they were permanently deleted from my inbox.  I also lost a lot of saved Facebook messages that I'd been holding on to for years.

My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

Re: Deleting Email on Server only, on Device only or on Both

Delete on device only is currently not there.  You may want to check on the Crackberry forums for those running the leaked update to see if that feature as been restored.  I believe you can stick them in another file. 

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

There's no update yet, perhaps it's coming.

For the timebeing, just file the email. It will move it from your inbox, but not delete it.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I honestly don't know why an older version of Blackberries had so many settings than the new BB10.

A simple DO NOT DELETE from server!! Really Blackberry!!!

I can't even use imap or pop for 2 weeks now, I had to resort to my Yahoo email, wow!

And Verizon workers have no clue, they kept suggesting for me to buy other phones, nice job BB.

It's different technology than the BIS network you were on before.

It is designed to actually mirror the exact messages on your server. Delete in one place, delete in both. Your device and server sync.

Why can't you use IMAP or POP email for two weeks?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

I see.

I have tried everything but can't seem to send, I do receive and that's it.
New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Why is this thought to be a good thing? Who wants a mirror image of their work inbox on their phone? I can't even picture how this is a benefit? Maybe it is to some but it's actually complicating how I work and the reasons I loved blackberry. My phone is my constant link but not my computer and I don't want it to be.

I am really concerned with your ambiguous answer. It leads me to believe there isn't even anything in the works to get this resolved. I have been reading older posts and this is a recurring complaint. I can't keep emails permanently on my phone and I'm confused with your suggestion to file them, Wouldn't that mean that they are still going to forever be on my phone?

If as you're saying the new set up is supposed to be a mirror image of my outlook why do all of the emails remain on my phone once I've removed them from outlook inbox or moved them to other folders?

There has to be a better option that I'm not seeing, I honestly can't believe that blackberry would make this sort of mass change to how the device works, without even offering the prior options we have come to expect. And which worked.

I can understand an oversight, or something that is being worked on. But I'm feeling more and more let down, I've waited out all the bad press all the delays and I've never been so frustrated with the lack of help. All I get is a too bad type of response. I've tried twitter, Facebook and now here. If thus isn't going to be fixed ever please don't waste my time as unfortunately and very regrettably I'll need a different smart phone
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Well said I'm rethinking also to start looking again for other smartphones. It's too bad these things weren't well thought of.
I got suggestions to use K9! Really, I bought the Z10 to use the native email and not some stupid app.

taniad wrote:
Why is this thought to be a good thing?

Did I say it was a good thing?

Reading your comments here, you're quite antagonistic. I am not an employee of BlackBerry. I am a user much like you. I'll do my best to answer your questions and comments in kind.

taniad wrote:
 I can't even picture how this is a benefit?

Open your mind, think more broadly.

taniad wrote:
I am really concerned with your ambiguous answer.

Thank you for your concern.

taniad wrote:
 It leads me to believe there isn't even anything in the works to get this resolved.

What you believe and what is fact, may in fact be two very different things.

taniad wrote:
I can't keep emails permanently on my phone and I'm confused with your suggestion to file them, Wouldn't that mean that they are still going to forever be on my phone?

No. Not at all. They now reside on the appropriate folder within your email server.

taniad wrote:
If as you're saying the new set up is supposed to be a mirror image of my outlook why do all of the emails remain on my phone once I've removed them from outlook inbox or moved them to other folders?

Because your Outlook is a DESKTOP PC application and is not mirroring your email server.

taniad wrote:
 I've never been so frustrated with the lack of help. All I get is a too bad type of response. I've tried twitter, Facebook and now here. If thus isn't going to be fixed ever please don't waste my time as unfortunately and very regrettably I'll need a different smart phone

Who has wasted your time and given you a "bad response"? Hey, it's like I've told my ten year old, just because you "don't like the answer, doesn't mean it's the wrong answer".

But it is the way it is. For now. I suspect changes may be made.

For support, Rogers is your front-line contact. You are PAYING them monthly for service AND support. You are not paying Facebook nor twitter for support. You have CONTRACTED with Rogers for support. If you don't like your "bad responses" from vague facebook and twitter sources, call Rogers. Any issue they cannot resolve, you need to ask to be escalated UP to BlackBerry technical support. Ask for it, you're paying for it.

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Z10 Rogers

[ Edited ]

I have contacted Rogers 3 times.  They will not contact Blackberry for me.  Very fustrating.  They say this is how the Z10 is set up and they cannot talk to Blackberry about changes.  They will not give me a carrier code to call myself.  I have also contacted Blackberry through twitter and facebook with no answers.  Also very disappointing.  If anybody is reading this forum from Blackberry please let us know if this feature to leave on handheld or handheld and mailbox will be coming to Z10 or Q10 in a software update.  I am using my 9900 but it needs replacing, and if it keeps on going like it is where nobody will take ownership and answer a simple tweet, facebook help etc., it's time to move to a new platform.  I have been using blackberries for ever in my business but you are leaving me no choice but to jump ship.  I never ever thought I would say that Smiley Sad