Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: giffgaff
Accepted Solution

Does anyone know when BlackBerry 10.2.1 update is coming to unlocked SIM Free UK phones?

Does anyone know when BlackBerry 10.2.1 update is coming to unlocked SIM Free UK phones?

I'm really surprised I haven't got it yet, I chec everyday from PC and the phone but nothing, surely unlocked phones which have never ever had a SIM in them would get the update before carriers approve them?

My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Does anyone know when BlackBerry 10.2.1 update is coming to unlocked SIM Free UK phones?

Allstar12345 wrote:

I'm really surprised I haven't got it yet, I chec everyday from PC and the phone but nothing, surely unlocked phones which have never ever had a SIM in them would get the update before carriers approve them?

Updates are release by the carriers, you will need to get a SIM from one of the carriers that have already release it in order to install it

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Att

Re: Does anyone know when BlackBerry 10.2.1 update is coming to unlocked SIM Free UK phones?

I bought my phone from blackberry. I use att. If I check with the sim in, att is still on 10.1 so I see no update. If I take the sim out and go thru blackberry.com/updates, I get 10.2.1.537. You might try it without the sim connected to a pc on blackberries website if you bought an unlocked non carrier branded phone.

Developer

So you need a SIM to get a update, that is f*ck*ng stupid, I use my BB for App development and don't need a SIM :/

Guess I'll have to get a SIM from somewhere, thanks.

Contributor

No, no. If you bought a truly carrier unlocked device (ie, from blackberry) if you take the sim out of the phone and run the update, your update should come from blackberry (carrier independent, since no sim in phone). That's the way it worked for me anyway.

Developer

It never had a SIM in the phone in the first place, I ran it SIM free, anyway, I put a SIM in it, booted, turned it off and removed the SIM, and on the third attempt of checking the update came through, only from the phone though, not by BB Link, bit odd but glad it came through, thanks for your help.

My first BlackBerry so was a bit confused there. Smiley Happy

Contributor

Good deal. I went through internet explorer and blackberries website rather than bb link. Seem to have better luck. But as long as you got it, good to go.