Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z30 & Passport
My Carrier: Telus

Duplicate Contacts - need to delete ALL - Feature request?

Did a device transfer from my BES-controlled 9900 to a Z10 over the weekend, and also connected to my Exchange with ActiveSync. Now I have duplicates of ALL my contacts. If I turn off contact sync for my Exchange account, the duplicates go away, but that's not what I need/want (I need contacts to sync from Exchange/Outlook). Is there any solution other than a device wipe? Don't want to do this as I've already customized a lot and installed a bunch of apps. Perhaps a backup, wipe, restore without the contacts (if that's possible with Link)? Cheers, David
Cheers,

Dave
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Duplicate Contacts - need to delete ALL - Feature request?

You should try to link contacts. I had about 5 or 6 entries per person once I aggregated all my contacts list, and I had to manually link each person to have all their info, takes a while, but worth it. 

Just link the duplicates and their info will merge.

Contributor

That won't work for me. The problem is the contacts that got imported from my 9900 to Z10 migration were originally populated on the 9900 through BES to my Exchange. Now that I'm using ActiveSync with the Z10, it doesn't recognize the imported contacts are the exact same as my ActiveSync-sync'd contacts. And there are hundreds of them. No way on God's green Earth I'm going to manually merge them.
Cheers,

Dave
Contributor

The merge algorythm for for BB10 IS a tad weak. My previous phone got almost every merge correct on it's own, the only problems being when someone had a significantly different name on an account.

100's of names? Whoa, use the force.

Can you hide those until they are needed? Or is it something you need displayed all the time? I simply hide contacts from some accounts since I don't need them mixed among my other contacts, and when I need them I just enable them and look through them.

Contributor

no, these are my main contacts - I can hide Facebook, etc, but not these. Looks like I'll probably do a backup, wipe and load, and exclude contacts on restore (assuming I can do that).
Cheers,

Dave
Contributor

I don't think you can. I had some issues with my Z10 and had to do a restore, and wasn't able to exclude anything, it's just settings, apps and media. And the restore brought back the problems so I had to start over. Good luck man!
Contributor

Ended up wiping and restoring without app data, and reconfiguring. All fixed.
Cheers,

Dave
Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

I avoided a wipe by deleting my MS Exchange Account, manually marking and deleting all contacts on my Z10, recreating my MS Exchange account and then re-syncing with MS ActiveSync. No duplicate entries so far. Time will tell.
Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

No duplicates after 2 weeks. So far, so good.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

What worked for me, when I had 10.0 installed ( this problem has been fixed now with 10.1), was to go into my SImm card, and delete all my contacts off my Simm card, as for some reason, the address book was reading both the stored contacts on the phone, and the simm contacts at the same time, causing duplicates.

That worked for me on version 10.0