Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

I am afraid I don't know why syncing is not working at all for some people. My experience with the Z10 has been first syncing Gmail with the Z10's default setup which, from what I understand, employs the use of standards based methods including IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV. For me, this method worked fine for syncing up my email and contacts, but gave me an error message when it tried to connect to Google calendar.

Then I connected to Gmail using Active Sync, which synced my email, contacts, and primary calendar. After fiddling with some online settings I managed to sync up all of my calendars. All of this has been documented in one of my previous posts on this thread.

Apparently Google is removing new Active Sync activations for free Gmail accounts, so if you are trying to connect to Gmail using Active Sync, that may explain the problem. I would suggest contacting Google, or BlackBerry, or both, for further assistance or clarification.

If I have time this weekend I will do some experimenting with syncing individual Google calendars using the CalDAV method and post the results here.
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Have us actually setup synch to gmail with the new update installed? Seems to me that the problem only started occuring on Z10's with the new update.
Developer
My Device: Z10 & Z30

willjansen wrote:
If I have time this weekend I will do some experimenting with syncing individual Google calendars using the CalDAV method and post the results here.

I'm looking forward to the results.

Contributor

Can u try using the microsoft active sync function under advanced in account settings and see if u can connect to the gmail accounts. That would be the prefered method.
Developer
My Device: Z10 & Z30

Indisium wrote:
Can u try using the microsoft active sync function under advanced in account settings and see if u can connect to the gmail accounts. That would be the prefered method.

I've tried that just now. It doesn't work anymore. I've swapped the z10 for a new unit and it stopped working.

Contributor

There in lies my biggest problem. Hello BlackBerry are u listening.. This is important.. Please fix this!!!
Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Can u try using the microsoft active sync function under advanced in account settings and see if u can connect to the gmail accounts. That would be the prefered method."

I have already done this. Active Sync is how my Z10 is currently connected to Gmail and it is working flawlessly. I explained this earlier in the thread, I think on page 2. I suggest you go back and read the whole thread if you haven't already.

Again, from my understanding Google may have disabled support for new Active Sync activations on free accounts, new Active Sync activations on paid Google Apps accounts are still supported. (As a short aside, Active Sync is proprietary software owned by Microsoft. Not supporting it for free users is probably a business decision based on the fact that they have to pay Microsoft to use it. They would much rather use free standards-based methods.) That may explain the Active Sync problem people are starting to describe. I setup my Playbook last year with Active Sync, and Google is continuing to support Active Sync for people who were already using it, which might explain why some people can use Active Sync while others can't. This is all conjecture though, and I'm sure an official statement from Google or BlackBerry would clear up a lot of confusion.

All that being said, Google does still support, and will probably indefinitely support, standards-based syncing methods like IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV. That is how the Z10 tries to connect to Gmail with the default setup (i.e., if you just type in your email address and password without entering the advanced setup). From my experience, this method managed to sync my email and contacts, but couldnt sync my calendars. However, it would be interesting to see if going into the advanced setup and adding the calendars individually using CalDAV could work. Again, I'll post the results when I get to it.

Honestly, none of this is really my area of expertise, I've just pieced things together with a few hours of Internet searching and my own experimentation. If things aren't workng properly after you've done a little bit of troubleshooting yourself, I would strongly suggest contacting BlackBerry or Google customer support.

*Edited for clarity.

Contributor

If u read my thread u will note that it has nothing to do with Google disabling anything as it works fine on my Android device and also my IPad. It also was Working flawlessly on my first Z10 but the new Z10 with the latest update does not work. U will note that another user on here tried it and reported the same thing while discussing this with me. I conclude that if u were to remove ur account and update to the latest version, that u would not be able to connect after that.
Contributor

Alright, I apologize if my last reply was curt. I'm just a regular guy trying to help out some fellow BlackBerry fans on my own time.

Are you sure that your iPad/Android sync was setup using Active Sync? Walk me through the steps you are taking to setup your Gmail, point form and in detail. If you have tried more than one method, walk me through the different methods.
Contributor

Your post is not a problem.. But the blackberry not working is a problem. I have taken mine back to the store till I can get this resolved as it would be usless for me to have a device that has none of my info. on it. However as soon as it is resolved I will be getting another one cause I love that phone.

So anyway from memory,

Selected accounts

Selected Advanced

Selected Microsoft Active Sync

Name ICS Account

Username xxxx@gmail.com

email address xxx@gmail.com

password XXXX

Server Address m.google.com

Default port left at 443

SSL left to ON

User VPNOFF
Push Set to ON

next

It checks the server, and comes back with Error 403.