Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor II
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

Re: HIGH DATA USAGE ON MY BB Z10

[ Edited ]

I came from an Android to the Z10, and was given the same misinformation.  But it was the very first day of the phone's release so double checked and found out I had been misinformed.  I'm also with T-Mo usa, which has unlimited domestic data.  Once I get wifi-calling the phone will be excellent as when I'm overseas I do my data and calls (with wifi-calling) on wifi.  Yes, it's a bit of a compromise compared with my wife's BBerry 99xxx but better than what I'm used to on Android.  But you can get an "earlier" BBerry if compressed data is essential. 

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: du

Same here. I ve turned off push mail for my office mails . Brrrbbrbrb stuck with this phone...
Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Confounding. So many people seemed to want a BlackBerry but they wanted it to be like other smartphones. They didn't want to be required to get a specific BlackBerry data plan. Now there is BB10 and people are frustrated that it is like other smartphones. Can't catch a break.
- Ira
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: TELCEL

I have same problem, and i think is due to a mal function of the BB Z10.

I turned on the Hotspot feature on my BB, then connected my laptop, and even without doing NOTHING on my laptop, it was consuming 1 MB per second!!!  i didnt believe it but yes.     I purchased 1GB of data as extra package last month, and I finished 1GB in aprox 25 min!!!, with some starts/stops I had. 

Then I did the same thing and i connected my laptop to my wifes Iphone 4s, and the consumption was nothing, minimum just a few kb.

WHY Why is this happening???

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Keep in mind.... iPhones have little malware protection.  A laptop will check for malware signatures when it first connects to an open network.

If the laptop has not been connected for a few weeks... expect major downloads after "patch Tuesday".  To minimize data traffic, I use a regular network/wifi connection earlier in the day before I use a mobile hotspot feature.  Otherwise, have a large data package.

1gb in 25 minutes?  I wonder what other things are running on your machine in the background.

• Is it downloading a movie?
  • malware?
Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone India

Hi I am BB Z10 user in India. I have instances when there are hugh chunks of data that are sent from the device. The avergae size of them would be about 100-200 mb, that would happen within a couple of hours while the phone is just sitting on the desk. My average usage while I was using the BIS plan would be anywhere between 800mb - 1GB a month, after switching to the new OS its about 1500 - 1600 mb a month, which I find rediculous especially when I have another phone, an S4 that runs on a similar data plan but consumes only around 700 mb per month, & the usage of social networking apps etc are more on this device than the Z10.

I read a blog that speaks about data compression thats missing in the Z10 but there has to be something done about these chunks of data that are being sent out. I am pretty sure that it could be our root cause here.

Sheldon

Posting from my Z10
Contributor

Hi I am facing the similar issue, i think its related to an issue within the OS. I don't see any other smartphones out there which consume that much of data. My wife uses an S4 & has the same data plan like mine. She uses alot of apps & online games but here data usage is a mere 700mb. On the other hand, after switching from an older BB to the newer one i have not at all used the apps etc like i did before.
Posting from my Z10
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Try going to your Settings > Security > Diagnostics and turn off the "Send Diagnostics and usage data"

And yes, the BB10 devices do not use the compressed BIS data network as in the past.

ALSO >> You have your mobile phone number listed as your "My Mobile Provider" or carrier. Putting your phone number out on the internet on these public forums for the world to see, is not wise. To change that, at the top of this page click on My Settings > Personal Profile > Personal Information, and in the entry block for "Carrier" type the name of your mobile provider.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Ok, so i checked & the diagnostics options are off. Also I made the required changes in my profile, thanks for the heads up.  On the huge chunks of data getting sent from the device, I am speaking with my Vodafone bout this. I hope they know whats going on. 

Posting from my Z10
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

How are you contacts synced to the device, is through a source as gmail contacts or yahoo?

Do you have anything like dropbox or box connected, evernote?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code