Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: HIGH DATA USAGE ON MY BB Z10

"Interesting thought though took battery out .. got charged for 164 kb with no battery in phone ..HMMM"

Well then it's obviously NOT the phone, or a problem with the phone, is it.

I would contact your provider and have them explain that to you, how that is possible.

I'm on AT&T also and have no such problems at all.

Fred

Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

pdnirc wrote:

Just for Jsanders, I do not lie and I have no intention to do so.

Read my post. I never said you were lying. You're the user who mentioned lies. I was responding to your words.

pdnirc wrote:

I have been selling base equipment to operators all over the world for more than 20 years and I think I know a little about the matter. Regarding the Z10 the issue is a little bit more complex because it has been introduced, presented, and sold as a new BB.  Yes now everyone knows that it does not use the BIS so it is just a plain smartphone.  Now, I have two Iphone 5 and 2 iphone 4,

Congrats

pdnirc wrote:

EXPLAIN

Explain what? You've been in this business for 20 years. Ask me the specific question without confusing the matter with all the blather..

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: blacberry torch
My Carrier: t mobile

I just want to know why the Z10, having the data on, but all data usage functions, applications or anything using data disconnected still consumes data?  Why using another smartphone with the same sim card it does not happen?

pdnirc wrote:

I just want to know why the Z10, having the data on, but all data usage functions, applications or anything using data disconnected still consumes data?  Why using another smartphone with the same sim card it does not happen?

because you have the data on

Others will consume and transmit data as well, with the data on. I am confused by your question.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: blacberry torch
My Carrier: t mobile

I guess we fail on finding the communication channel:

when using the apple Iphone or the samsung GII or G3, Iturn on the data, and disconnect all apps and all functions or possible features that might use data. I leave the phone on a couple of days and no data consumption.  I do the same with the Z10, it finds a way to have data usage?  This is the problem. For me there is something or in the software or in the firmware that makes the Z10 use data even when it is set to not use data.  I am just puzzled.  From what I see in many forums people have had the same experience.  I was very impressed when fred98 said he used onl 1 GB, but he has ATT.  I am just curious to know if anyone can explain this, because the fact that the data is on is not the answer,  the data has to be solicitated in order to activate and generate usage so I am still without an answer, because  I thought it was from the operator but when using other phones nothing happen on the same network, only happens to me with the Z10 with the Tmobile card, it s a mystery for me.

pdnirc, even if you have all apps closed, there are many apps such email and contacts still running which will sync email regardless of if you other apps closed.

If you have Location services on, your device will send it's location. Contacts ping the server. Email syncs.

Hope that helps you.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: Bell

There is definatly something wrong. I am an IT manager and we run BB in the USA and Canada as well as android phones. I have two users who had significate spikes in data - and no use differance and no new apps in the last month.  If you review the chart below you will see that as the user went from the older BB to the new there was a data spike as expected. No big deal we knew this would be coming. But please explain the last billing cycle were almost 9 gigs of data was used.  A second user had a similar trend line but logged in at 6 Gig and a third at 5.5 gig. 

Now I know that the fist thought is wifi hot spot  - this is ruled out by the carrier billing, this was all on device use. Also all three users did open tickets concerning battery use and having to continusly charge the Z10s. I will also note that this is 3 units out of > 20 test units. Two were Cdn will Bell one is USA with Verizion. So, different carriers and different zones. Also means different OS versions as the Cdn ones are updated to the most current and the USA one is older. The Cdn are are 10.1 were the Verision phone is on 10 as the user did not upgrade as yet.  So as I sit here reviewing a bill with overage charges up to 9 thousand dollars for on device usage you tell me that the Z10 does not have data spikes or issues with such. Also as you can see this is on 3 units out of 20ish and one month out of 3.5. 

• 2013-05 / 48.04 MB /Old BB
  • 2013-06 / 361.45 MB / 1/2 Z10 1/2 Old BB
  • 2013-07 / 551.28 MB / Z10
  • 2013-08 / 618.37 MB / Z10
  • 2013-09 / 8,759,4195 MB / Z10

pinkert11, ask any one of those users IF they performed any device OS upgrade on their device in any of those "spike" periods. An Over-the-air upgrade from Bell, pushed to the device, in which the user went ahead and upgraded.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: Bell

All of the units are pulled from active duty and in my desk. The last upgrade on the units was done a while ago and done in house in the box.

I don't understand how those devices had any data activity if they've been sitting on your desk out of "active duty".

Could you explain?

Knowledge Base Updates