Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

High Battery drain after charging (till 88%) then normal (3% per hour)

Hi Everyone,

I am using a Z10. I cannot complain about the battery usage, at the end of the day my battery is at 40%, so that is ok.

However, I noted something weird: immediately after charging, when I plug of the phone, I notice that for about 30-45 mins, my battery drain is really high. The phone loses about 12-15% of battery life.

After that, the rest of the day it loses about 10% every three hours. When graphing the consumption, the graph shows an obvious high usage for the first hour.

Did anybody else notice that?

Is there a "process explorer" to see what app could be responsible?

Phone is on Software 10.1.0.2312, OS 10.1.0.2354

Best Regards

Joe

Solutions: 6,417
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: High Battery drain after charging (till 88%) then normal (3% per hour)

My battery drops from 100%-90% pretty quickly too, but then can last 10-15 hours afterward, according to usage.

I have had it explained to me in this way: Your Z10 software simply interprets the battery power as reported or read by the software of the actual power rating or current output of the battery. Those are often simply averages over a few minutes time, and considering that 99% and 100% is practically the same number in all reality.

So. I would not be initially concerned about that unless it continues over several weeks of charging, always dropping from 100-85 within a few minutes.

I also recommend using an app such as Battery Guru to monitor your battery usage. There are free apps, but Battery Guru is well worth the low price.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/35712/

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

Thanks JSanders for the plug of Battery Guru.

OP: if you are using Battery Guru (my app), can you take a screenshot that shows that interesting behaviour in the graph?

What you're describing does seem odd. I haven't heard of it before, and although what Joe says is correct about a few percent difference being ignorable, if it's really a >10% drop at an unusually quick rate, then slowing down, with no change in usage on your part, then I don't have an explanation yet.

If the graph screenshot doesn't make anything obvious, feel free to export your data and email it to me, along with the date/time of the start and end of one of these unusual periods so I can identify it in the data. I can look that over and see if it suggests anything to me.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the explanation.

I'll try to make a few screenshots. I noticed this behavior, but only started logging a few days ago.

So as soon as I figure out how, i'll upload the daily data.

Best Regards

Joe

Contributor

Hi Peter and JSanders,

here are the promised Screenshots.

The first on shows the last three days, since I started logging:

http://postimg.org/image/jg4jtgg43/

This one here is just today. I marked the approximate time. and, as you can see, today it took about 45 mins to drain 10%. But since there was this funny stuff going on before, maybe today is a bad example.

http://postimg.org/image/e3fpfbs7n/

I'll keep posting, as new days come by.

What I really would wish for is an app, that shows me the processes that are running, and how much CPU each one is taking. That would really help in figuring out this behaviour. Do you know of any?

Best Regards

Joe

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whoops Sorry, douple Post (edited out)

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

There's no app to show processes, and there can't be one right now either because there's no exposed API for it for third-party developers to use.

We expect something to show up in 10.2 that will presumably be part of the system, and it may help in that respect.

And sorry, I can't help interpret the graph... that's not my app, so I have no idea what the data may mean, or whether I can trust it to be meaningful. If it has a data export feature, you might try exporting it and contacting the developers for assistance.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!