Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How Can I Avoid The Mysterious "Local Contacts"

I just tried it, and the new contact was only created "local contact ", and no obvious way to link it to the hotmail account 

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Sure it didn't create both?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

Yes, it was created locally only 

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have been testing this recently....

SETUP YOUR DEFAULT MAIL:

settings > accounts > (at bottom) set defaults > email address > hotmail & calendar > hotmail.

ADD YOUR CONTACT:

Contacts > should be able to add a link from any subsection or 'All Contacts' > ADD (at bottom of screen) opens new contact screen - ADD CONTACT DETAILS John, Smith, Johns Company, john@smith.com (in name, surname, company, personal email) > then SAVE.

DOUBLE CHECK YOUR LINKS:

Contacts > All Contacts OR Hotmail Contacts tabs > find the contact > click on contact > at bottom of contact should see back, edit, links(2) > click links (2) - IT SHOULD BE 2!! > brings up Linkded Profiles: John Smith (Local Contacts), John Smith (Hotmail).

DOUBLE CHECK YOUR HOTMAIL:

shortly afterwards you should see John Smith of Johns Company with email john@smith.com on your hotmail.

Works A-ok on my system.

Hope that helps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
Trusted Contributor

If you delete a Hotmail that you added via the z10 (which should create a local and hotmail contact) you will then have to 2 options:
1) Delete from hotmail website > this will remove from your hotmail account entirely and from the hotmail folder on your phone - it will leave the local contact stored on the phone.

2) Delete from the phone > it will remove the contact entirely (local and hotmail contacts) - unless you unlink the contact and only delete the hotmail or local contact alone, leaving the other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer

You've missed the point, if I create contacts it is fine - but if I EDIT a social network contact to add details, it doesn't create a synced contact. It creates a local contact.

It's a problem because you then have to recreate the contact. There's no move or copy, so everything becomes inefficient.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor

Hi, sorry I had misread the original query but hopeful someone got something out of it.

Unfortunately we need to think of things like facebook contacts and linkedin contacts as read only.

Bit like in the real world when someone gives you a business card, you can write your own notes on the card but you can't change what is already printed. Only the person handing out the card can do that.

You can however give the business card to someone with your notes on... ie if you get an fb or li contact and add local info. if you attach that contact in an email the recipient will get a single vcf. with all the local and original info as one business card.

If you wanted to you could I suppose mail this to yourself to say your Z10 (or your outlook and upload it) and then delete the existing linked contact but I wouldn't say this was ideal as you would then loose the contact from the z10 contacts facebook and linked tabs (I have just tested this)

I also haven't found a way to just sent just the business card for say the office email from the linkedin account or the personal email from teh facebook account without unlinking the 2 accounts (if they were linked)

Developer

Exactly. It becomes very complicated.

I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect to get a phone number or email address from a Facebook or LinkedIn contact, and then expect to be able to easily create a new contact from the existing details.

Especially when I work at my computer and expect those details to be in my address book there and not have to then go to my phone and start copying everything that I've already entered.

Anyway, there it is.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: China Unicom

[ Edited ]

cas118, have you found a solution to this problem? I have the same issue.

If anybody from BlackBerry is reading this, the technical solution will be to add a feature that disables "Local Contacts" and instead syncs every EDIT of contacts with all your contact networks just like an ADD does. Or even easier, allows for "Local Contacts" to be synced with a online address book.

The big problem with local contacts is that most people wont even notice they have them until they for some unrelated reason have to do a wipe of their contacts, thus losing all their edits. 

BlackBerry Employee
My Device: Z10

Thank you for the feedback! We are aware of this important use case.

BlackBerry employee