02-26-2013 07:43 PM
I am looking for feedback and advice!
I want this new Blackberry to work.
I really want to support them.
However, I am having so many issues that are not huge, but are telling me to return this phone.
I am hoping I can be talked out of it, by people on here with valid reasons.
A valid reason like that these are short term issues, they will probably be fixed quickly by BB.
How often do they send out an update to fix this issues?
My biggest petpeeves
1. Vibrate notifications are now single, not double and not as powerful as before (missing notifications and emails, and texts)
2. I am mostly an e-mail user nothing fancy - I use yahoo mail and groupwise and neither is syncing properly on this phone. (Bold 9700 works with them perfectly and timely)
3. Learning to type on the new screen, I think it will come it is just going to take time
4. I can't stand it when the phone flips to landscape when i am not using landscape and it doesnt automatically flip back.
5. Using a lot more data although not spending more time on the phone.
6. One night I did not put the phone on charger over night (fell asleep). Battery dead after that.
02-26-2013 07:55 PM
I feel for you. I left the Android and IOS worlds and took a big chance on Blackberry. I even bought the phone outright over 750!!!
What's worse is that you have zero replies to this important post you created.
There are several issues and bugs for the Z10 OS. I think with a little patience BB will be providing a fix soon. The problem though is how they can't just send out fixes as and when they occur for the problems that are all too conspicuous.
Hell as a good will gesture why doesn't BlackBerry send out a quick fix for the severely lacking notification sounds until they actually fix the big things??
Stay strong my friend. The Z10 is a great device but will soon sour in the hands of those who know that BlackBerry needs to respond with a fix.
02-26-2013 09:01 PM - edited 02-26-2013 09:05 PM
Firstly @ mike, re:What's worse is that you have zero replies to this important post you created.
Welcome to the forums mike, unfortunately during the dead of night (in uk certainly) it may take longer than 8 minutes for you to get a reply to a new post.
1. I can't help here as I have my notifications on silent with vibration off for a lot of the day due to my job. But I'll test out the vibrate in comparison to my nokia maybe tomorrow eve.
2. Same here. Am not a corporate user. Hotmail, Facebook, Linkedin - all sync well, with the exception of my hotmail contacts. The contacts sync on the playbook works much better than on the z10. You can also see it sync as you open the contacts application. There appear to be some bugs in z10 that I have noticed when syncing hotmail contacts.
3. Seriously, i now type words in a matter of a couple of characters... This is game changing when you get used to it. You can also programme shortcuts. For example, you could get it to offer the phrase 'BlackBerry Z10' by typing just z.
4. I have this sometimes too. Can be annoying. Usually when my phone is nearly flat but at a slight angle. PlayBook had the opposite, wasn't quite sensitive enough at times. You can lock rotation by top menu on home screen if this helps. Other than this you need to hold your phone more 'purposefully' in the direction you want it to work. If you get my meaning.
5. And 6. Are or at least appear to be related issues potentially related to the use of IMAP mail accounts and/or exchange servers. We have a 20 odd page thread discussing the battery issues. Also specifically, people on Telus appear to be having more issues than others. Potentially due to a carrier specific update to the z10.
I would say that if the playbook is anything to go by (the only blackberry item I have), this phone will get better and better and will have a long life as the software makes better use of the hardware. And loses the bugs.
Hope this helps. If so give it a like!
02-26-2013 09:28 PM
02-26-2013 10:42 PM
The reason you haven't received an answer is that nobody here knows. This device was just released and no update have been released since. There is no way to tell "how often" they send out updates since no update has ever been released. In the past with old BB devices the updates were sent to carriers and the carriers decided when to push out the updates.
All your pet peeves are similar to everyone else's with a few exceptions:
#3. The new keyboard is the best thing about the device, bar none. Once you get used to it and it learns your typing you will be lightening fast on it. Guaranteed.
#4. I've seen my device flip to landscape too....not sure why it does that. However, you can lock it to portrait in the swipe down settings from the home screen. Since very little is available in landscape this isn't that much of a hinderence.
#5. Data usage. The Z10 uses an entirely different system of data usage than your previous BB. Previous BB's were on the BIS system and that system compressed data and made BB data usage much less than other devices like iPhone and Android. The Z10 uses the standard data plans and does not use BIS, therefore the data compression found in BIS is no longer available.
#6. Battery drain is an issue and seems to be a big issue for some Exchange 2003/2007 users. That isn't the only cause of severe battery drain but it's one of them. I suggest pluggin in your device at night and pulling it off the charger in the morning and monitoring the battery drain during the day.
02-26-2013 11:42 PM
As for the battery issue i am copying and posting something that is now 5 pages deep and can be missed, but is key in my eyes to solving the battery issue.
So I bought the external battery charger for 49$ (In Canada) and it is a spectacular addition. I no longer am stuck to a wall at any point!!!! Great price point even if it was double for what it yields. I once saw a band manager on a major european tour and he had employed this strategy brilliantly, always connected for his employers. Properly executed any buisness person can always be within reach (if they want to) or connectivity without being forced to remain in a stagnant location. I priced it out shortly after I saw this (about 5 years ago), with the phone I was using at the time and it was around 50$ then, and that was with a crappy, bulky external charger. This one is sleek (love the flip open case) compact, which give it the ability to store in a sleeve of any briefcase, suit jacket pocket or desk drawer. It also connects to phone if you want to top up both at the same time if you were going encounter an extended period of time without a power outlet. (Rarely happens these days but long travel and delays could force you to need a good deal of time with solid use without requiring an outlet, well if you want to conduct business or enjoy the luxury of correspondence with family.) If you do not want any of these stay away from this product ha ha. I will eventually buy a second one with charging cord for my office and with one at home and one at the office I am connected like the matrix. Thanks blackberry for a great accessory!!!!!!
02-09-2014 05:05 PM
02-09-2014 05:14 PM
What do you mean witout workarounds? Most of the valued BB functions are back in 10.2.1 with exception of custom notification profiles. I'm very happy with my Z10 now even though I was a bit upset at first.
02-09-2014 05:49 PM