Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?

JSanders wrote:
No, this is not the case. As soon as you put the Vodafone SIM card in the device, you are liable to have pushed to your device the carrier apps and bloatware. You do not get any "upg

Again, thanks for your reply, and I understand where you are coming from.  Here in europe this is not done, and on top of that it would be illegal Smiley Happy

But this is all a bit besides the point, my initial question still has gone un-answered;  where does the z10 phone check for an update.

I'll guess I'll start a network snooper on my home wifi network to find out and get some facts.

Would still be nice if an actual Blackberry employee that knows could answer authoritively!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

Keep in mind the users here on this forum are not blackberry employees as this forum only consists of people like me and you who are here to help each other with any problems. Most times if you want to contact an actual blackberry employee you have to go through your phone carrier who will transfer you to them if there are issues they can't answer themselves
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Carriers control the OS updates

Device looks at SIM card for carrier type and uploads info to update server.

Update server allows what the "Carrier approves that device to have"

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

tzander wrote:

Again, thanks for your reply, and I understand where you are coming from.  Here in europe this is not done, and on top of that it would be illegal Smiley Happy

Nope, not illegal. It's illegal to TIE a phone to a carrier.

There is nothing illegal about where software updates come from and who releases them.

tzander wrote:

JSanders wrote:
No, this is not the case. As soon as you put the Vodafone SIM card in the device, you are liable to have pushed to your device the carrier apps and bloatware. You do not get any "upg

But this is all a bit besides the point, my initial question still has gone un-answered;  where does the z10 phone check for an update.

I'll guess I'll start a network snooper on my home wifi network to find out and get some facts.

Would still be nice if an actual Blackberry employee that knows could answer authoritively!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

On a related topic, this is why I dislike it when the carriers are in control of OS updates. When we take a look at Android, there are many phones that are not updated to the latest Android OS. With so many different phones out there, I think the carriers don't have a huge motivation to update the OS unless it's for a popular phone.

The OS makers themselves have more motivation to make updates available as soon as possible because it benefits them more than the carriers. I really like how Apple is control of the OS updates and not the carriers. When Apple has an update, basically everyone worldwide gets it. I really wish all the OS makers would do this also.

The reason why I'm mentioning all this is that since BlackBerry isn't as popular as the other phones, I'm worried that OS updates will not be a priority for some carriers. I'm still waiting for the 10.1 update. I guess I'll see how long it's going to take for me to get it.
Contributor
My Carrier: none

JSanders wrote:

tzander wrote:

Nope, not illegal. It's illegal to TIE a phone to a carrier.

There is nothing illegal about where software updates come from and who releases them.

I completely agree that it would be illegal to tie my phone to a provider of one service on that device Smiley Wink

And let me clarify what I think the communication issue was; when you wrote "push updates" I interpreted that as "without my consent".

My statement is that it would be a big problem if I put a sim card in a phone and I would find new software on that device the next day, pushed there without my consent.  Would get a mess very soon because I use various service providers!

The idea of them pushing something without my consent is like Shell putting a sticker on my car when I gas up at one of their stations; quite illegal since its destruction of property.

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

No, that's not what happens. You will need to agree to and approve any OS update. it does not happen without your allowing it.

Sorry that you misunderstood.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code