Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Reply
Contributor
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎05-14-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?

Its been a while since the OS 10.1 upgrade should have started, and I'm pressing 'check for updates' at least once a day.

I'm wondering how this works, why don't I get it on day one?

 

I bought my phone via a webstore, so without a subscription.  I put in a sim card for my subscription I got separately (tele2/sweden).

The question I'm pondering is where does my phone connect to when checking for an OS update?  I assume its blackberry canada, but then why don't I get a new version?

Posts: 94,212
Likes: 24,324
Solutions: 6,331
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?

Your provider has not pushed the update, that's why.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎05-14-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?

Where "my provider" is the company I got my sim card from?

 

Bummer, I doubt they ever will, I didn't buy the phone from them so why would they bother with a software upgrade?

I bought the phone from blackberry, why are they not providing it?

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 142
Registered: ‎04-28-2013
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?

We only received the 10.1 update here in Canada a little over a week ago, and it still hasnt been released to the USA yet, so have patience, I am sure you will get it very shortly.

Posts: 94,212
Likes: 24,324
Solutions: 6,331
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?

tzander, please explain how you purchased the device from "BlackBerry"?
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎05-14-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?

[ Edited ]

Hi JSanders,

 

here in Europe most phone subscriptions have an option to buy a phone, it doesn't standard come with one. Which means you decouple the two and in many stores you can buy a phone without a sim card for the full price (600euro or so).

 

So, my thinking is that since I bought the phone from http://www.dustinhome.se its the same as when I buy a TV-set from k-mart.  They just ship boxes, taking care of details of shipping etc.  They will certainly not give me service/user-support etc.

 

So, in other words, I bought the phone for full price from Blackberry (or RIM if you want).

Bottom line is, just because I pay a phone company 15 euro a month for their service doesn't make them responsible for software updates for a phone I happen to own.

Contributor
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎05-14-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?

Hi JamesDee,

 

I'm willing to be patient, no problem Smiley Happy

 

The question I asked in my initial post was to figure out if my phone is checking only my service-provider, or with something else as well.  Since I'm pretty sure that if they check the service provider, its not gonna happen this year.

Posts: 94,212
Likes: 24,324
Solutions: 6,331
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?


tzander wrote:

 

So, in other words, I bought the phone for full price from Blackberry (or RIM if you want).

Bottom line is, just because I pay a phone company 15 euro a month for their service doesn't make them responsible for software updates for a phone I happen to own.


No, you didn't buy it from BlackBerry. You bought it from a third party retailer. BlackBerry does not sell device direct to consumers.

 

And yes, the OS updates are tested, certified and released by the individual mobile providers. BlackBerry builds the OS and the mobile operators release it. Because you have XXX (Vodafone, Tmobile, Orange, AT&T) in your BlackBerry, you've committed to that carrier for the update.

 

The fact that you might want it to be different, does not make it a fact.

 

Now, if you want to update otherwise, often removing the SIM card from the device and connecting to a PC with the PC browser at www.blackberry.com/updates, "may" get you the update. There are other workaround for this as well.

Note the first two bullets in this post: How to Reload your Blackberry10 OS

 
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎05-14-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?


JSanders wrote:

And yes, the OS updates are tested, certified and released by the individual mobile providers. BlackBerry builds the OS and the mobile operators release it. Because you have XXX (Vodafone, Tmobile, Orange, AT&T) in your BlackBerry, you've committed to that carrier for the update.

 

 

Hi again Smiley Happy

 

I'm wondering about one important thing with the above paragraph;  when I buy my phone for full price, the advantage is that I get the 'upstream' OS. Which means that I don't get the vodafone defaults and apps or any other carrier.

This is a feature to me.

 

In fact, I payed that full price exactly because I don't want to commit to a carrier. They have a history of making OS-releases more unstable and generally a worse experience than the plain thing. Just so they can get branding and their defaults in.

So while you may be right, I expect the update to come from RIM.  Unmodified. Thats how it worked with Nokia.

 

I'll try the update page you mentioned.

Posts: 94,212
Likes: 24,324
Solutions: 6,331
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How is this OS upgrade rolled-out?


tzander wrote:

 

I'm wondering about one important thing with the above paragraph;  when I buy my phone for full price, the advantage is that I get the 'upstream' OS. Which means that I don't get the vodafone defaults and apps or any other carrier.

This is a feature to me.


No, this is not the case. As soon as you put the Vodafone SIM card in the device, you are liable to have pushed to your device the carrier apps and bloatware. You do not get any "upg

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code