Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

How to Un-brick my Z10

Hi folks, my Z10 got an 'OS error' and since then, the only thing it does is flash the LED twice after holding the power button down exactly 10 seconds with the charger plugged in.

Is there a BlackBerry engineer around here that knows how to resurect my otherwise flawless Z10? I got my Z10 the first week it went on sale and after 1 year and 1 week, this happened. This phone doesn't have a scratch, has never been dropped, and has worked perfectly, except for seeming to get hot now and then, right up untill this 'OS error'.

The only thing I found out so far is that it may have had a 'pocket security wipe' interrupted. The batteries (I have 2, bought several months apart) are fine and power other Z10's no problem, in case you are wondering. I have tweeted BlackBerry support 3 times with no reply. Any ideas? Anybody??

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: How to Un-brick my Z10

It's actually very hard to permanently brick a BB10 device, how to reload your OS can be found here...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/General-BlackBerry-10-Smartphone/How-to-Reload-your-Blackberr...

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Contributor

Thank you, I did this and nothing happens.

Wish a BlackBerry engineer could chime in here with some options. Two LED flashes after 10 seconds holding the pwr button must mean something that could lead to a fix. Would like to know if there are any software or hardware tools I need to get my Z10 going again.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

You can wish but it's unlikely to happen I'm afraid.

The led flashes anyway after holding the power button down for 10 seconds to indicate a hard reboot.

When you reloaded the OS what do you mean by nothing happens?

Did it get to the boot page, the 100% loading stage, what?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Contributor

HI,  Ok, first i must say I did not 'brick'my phone, no matter how hard you say it would be for me to do so. This Z10 'bricked' itself with no warning. I want BlackBerry to take some responsibility and help me to fix it, whatever happened. So far, except for you, BlackBerry support has been zero, as in non-existant. When I had a problem with my iPhone 4, Apple were all over me to fix it and did and it still works to this day. It is not an option for me to throw away a $600 peice of hardware after a year because BlackBerry is too busy to help. BBry needs to give a sh*t. As stated, It had been working flawlessly untill the 'OS error'. As it was a year and one week since I bought it, my carrier, Telus, refuses to get involved other than to say I must front $150 to 'possibly' get my phone fixed. It is unnacceptable for BlackBerry to not give a sh*t. Forgive my rant but so far you, on this BlackBerry Community Support forum, are the only BlackBerry support affiliated person that has responded.

Here is the error message I get from Link when I plug my lifeless Z10 that does not respond to anything except the LED twice flash after 10 seconds of holding the pwr button while plugged in to charger or computer:

A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again.

TIA for what you can do, or to help to get BlackBerry actually involved or whatever.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

rezm wrote:

HI,  Ok, first i must say I did not 'brick'my phone, no matter how hard you say it would be for me to do so. This Z10 'bricked' itself with no warning. I want BlackBerry to take some responsibility and help me to fix it, whatever happened. So far, except for you, BlackBerry support has been zero, as in non-existant. When I had a problem with my iPhone 4, Apple were all over me to fix it and did and it still works to this day. It is not an option for me to throw away a $600 peice of hardware after a year because BlackBerry is too busy to help. BBry needs to give a sh*t. As stated, It had been working flawlessly untill the 'OS error'. As it was a year and one week since I bought it, my carrier, Telus, refuses to get involved other than to say I must front $150 to 'possibly' get my phone fixed. It is unnacceptable for BlackBerry to not give a sh*t. Forgive my rant but so far you, on this BlackBerry Community Support forum, are the only BlackBerry support affiliated person that has responded.

Here is the error message I get from Link when I plug my lifeless Z10 that does not respond to anything except the LED twice flash after 10 seconds of holding the pwr button while plugged in to charger or computer:

A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again.

TIA for what you can do, or to help to get BlackBerry actually involved or whatever.

If you want help from BlackBerry, then you must contact Telus and have them escalate the problem to BlackBerry, this is the only direct way to contact BlackBerry

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Ufone

Sorry brother your set is dead. A friend of mine had a Z10 used just a couple of weeks before it went sleeping (May be it is cursed) and never woke up. here in Pakistan we dont get any warranty with set, so the dealer promised to fix it for free but how could it be fixed when no one is able to fix it. Now the Z10 is lying dead as if it has been knocked out in a UFC fight. but guess what I have one which does bring OS errors every now and then but is working brilliantly by the Grace of Almight ALLAH. I know my post is to no help for you but It will let you know that you are out of luck and help at the same time.

Take care

A PROUD OWNER OF BLACKBERRY Z10

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Limited Edition
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Hi there,

I know I'm late to the topic but have you tried an autoloader?

These can load a development OS on your device which will make it detectable from Link. From there you can reload an up to date Full OS.

You can download the autoloader from here : http://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/blackberry10devalpha/devalpha_update.html

In the dropdown you must select the model of your phone. If you got a Z10 from Telus, it must be the STL100-3 model.

Once downloaded, make sure only the bricked device is connected to the computer then launch the .exe file. It will launch a command line interface and load the development OS on the device.

I've de-bricked many devices this way. If you need any more help with this, feel free to ask.

NOTE: you can only do this on a Windows system.

New Contributor

Tried the autoloader, the dos box launches and says "connecting to bootrom: _ " and sits there with flashing cursor. Are there any comand line parameters I can give it like /debrick or /wakeup?

New Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL-100-3)
My Carrier: Bell

Same thing happened to my phone exact to the date one year & a few months doesn't boot anymore, no one want's to take responsibility for it. If Blackberry want's a better market share show somekind of responsibility for the product!